Project continues

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
To get the rifle most accurate as possible without replacing barrel and stock.
Bedded the front lug earlier in the year. Didn’t see much improvement.
I’m green to the game. So after scratching my head long enough I inspected the barrel and inside the muzzle.
It shot sub MOA with some light factory bullets. 55gn range. Every thing over that opened to 1-1.5 moa
I don’t reload. And I have a lot of match mil spec hand loaded 77gn smk. I know a little heavy for 1-9 twist but the round is so consistent even when it had a bad crown it would shoot MOA sometimes. Hope to play further in near future now that things are as should maybe.
The smith agreed it needed a new crown. So we took an inch and put an 11* crown on.
2cf61b5571db5f69c5b32068699db549.jpg

Looks great. It’s hard to tell what a bad crown looks like until you get a fresh one.
There was heavy pitting corrosion in the first 1/8” down the tube.
Neglect by first owner I assume.
While the gun was at the smith I upgraded to a 20moa rail and bought a 12x swfa scope from raging bull. Thanks man.

So I bedded the rail last night as it had .0015” gap in the back.
a42233e7ebc0da446556f2bc17ac5bf0.jpg
3e32505356ff1c641f61a116cb3eadbb.jpg

ba4e1cc044ec9ab310d1de492d6d0291.jpg

f704faa2ccbc9f3f20f6d8b69bd82dea.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
...SOP is to locktite base and its screws threads, but never rings.

Looking forward to seeing your improved groups!

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Did you mean .015"?
or .0015?...……..15 thousands? or 1 1/2 thou?

I could slide a 15 thousands feeler gauge under it.
Didn’t use any lock tight. Rail to gun 25in/#.
Same specs were suggested for rings to mount and rings to scope.
The rifle is heavy and has very little recoil. Hopefully everything stays tight as suggested by manufacture. Will see.
Thanks

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Rail to gun needs blue lock tight and 40-60 inch pounds minimum IMO. 25 inch pounds is correct for most rings.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
6b11d6e8d8625f5e2ce50cd6662ac866.jpg

Best group of the day. 3 shots in a .25”
Shot 10 groups today all under an inch most around a .6”
Pretty happy. Not sure if the new crown made the difference or 12x optics with a Target dot to really hold inside of the targets.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
What cartridge are you shooting? You'll have to invest a lot more time/money to improve a small fraction better than what you are shooting now. Great shooting by the way.

<>< Fish

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
What cartridge are you shooting? You'll have to invest a lot more time/money to improve a small fraction better than what you are shooting now. Great shooting by the way.

<>< Fish

5.56 77gn Serria match king HPBT
Bulk
In a .223 chambered gun [emoji849][emoji848]

Thank you. When I bought the gun it would shoot 1.5” groups same bullet. A little shop work cleaned it up to be a nice little rifle.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I agrre with fishhunt. My .223 shoots the barnes tsx 70 grain as good as the 77grain Sierra tmk so maybe it might be worth a shot.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
5.56 77gn Serria match king HPBT
Bulk
In a .223 chambered gun [emoji849][emoji848]

Thank you. When I bought the gun it would shoot 1.5” groups same bullet. A little shop work cleaned it up to be a nice little rifle.

I shoot 5.56 in my Savage .223 also. That model 10 action will hold a helluva lot more pressure than the 5.56 is capable of dishing out!

<>< Fish