Problem Deer........

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
As for your garden, you are screwed, if it is not a crop that you make a living from then you can not just kill deer out of season for being in your garden...

Just wrong. You absolutely can kill a deer that is in the act of destroying your property in NC.

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
Have never shot one with a .22 but have dropped a couple of them in their tracks with a .17 HMR out to 120 yards. When you shoot them in the head with that little fragmenting round, it's like sandblasting the inside of the skull.

Raspy1

Got to do something, not going to have them destroying the garden. I plant tomatoes and lose most of those to the squirrels but not willing to give up the rest.

E Knight

Put up a electric fence 6 foot high three strands of wire put pink flagging on wire get a hot fence box they will tear it up a couple of times before they get broke from the fence I know deer can jump a 6 foot fence but it will keep them out if you get enough juice on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Got to do something, not going to have them destroying the garden. I plant tomatoes and lose most of those to the squirrels but not willing to give up the rest.

There's your solution. Leave the deer and shoot all of the squirrels and you will have the majority of your tomatoes left.

Raspy1

There's your solution. Leave the deer and shoot all of the squirrels and you will have the majority of your tomatoes left.

We get enough maters even giving some up. The deer gets the good stuff and hit it when it's small killing the whole plant sometimes. They got to go.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
A good hot fence set far enough away from the plants to keep them from reaching through will stop'em...

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Plot Saver or Deer Away and similar products will work. When I used Plot Saver on 1/4 acre plots it worked great. I have used it on 12 acre fields also and it helped.

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns

Go get a old tractor tire, rig up something that will go boom in it, run a trip wire around garden. Put plywood over tire when tripped #1 it throws the plywood and the sound will scare the deer away. My dad used to do this, not sure what he used to make it go boom but it was not very loud but you could feel it which is why the deer did not like it.

BuzzCut

Ten Pointer
My brother only hunts from the ground, only uses a .22 during rifle season, sets up for & is zeroed at 50 yds on a subsonic round. He tells me he draws a line between the eye and base of ear and aims halfway in between. His quote is they drop like cutting strings on a puppet. Don't shoot the messenger...just adding that based on what he says, the .22 to the noggin, is 100% effective. Good luck with the deer in your Garden Smorgasbord.

No, I don't. Me, 30-30 or 30-06.

bflee

The 22WMR will take care of it also. Its a little louder than the 22LR but has as much power at 100 yards as the 22LR does at the muzzle. Accurate enough to pop him in the head. He will drop. Head shots on deer drop em dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk