Private Land/Game Cam Question

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
A couple of comments on that 70 acres..... The time to scout that land is AFTER the current deer season ends, January. You can discover everything you need to know without pushing deer during the time you should be hunting them. As important as learning how the deer move on the land is learning how you can ease into a good spot without alerting every critter in the area. Hunting edges has been the key to taking mature deer for me. The further you walk in, the more chance you take of educating the deer about you. I believe one scouting trip probably lets the deer know more about you than you will know about them. A mature deer is not so hard to kill if he doesn't know he's being hunted but even a 2 year old buck can be a real challenge if he feels your presence. Look at the big picture, consider the usual wind directions you will have in next season. Figure out a couple of sneaky routes that take you just far enough in to be in the game and you can kill deer. As much fun as it is to walk the land and look for rubs and scrapes, the best that you can do once you have a general understanding of the land is to stay out. Each year some very fine deer are taken from relatively small parcels and it is because those deer felt safe on the land. The more you walk it the less safe the deer will feel and any mature deer will go elsewhere. Just my opinion.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Hello All, yall helped me in the past so figured i would update you. Arrowed my first Carolina Buck today. Thank you all for your help.
AWESOME!

Looking at the neck on him you can tell he's an old deer, and the ribs tell you he's been chasing does hard.