Preparing for 2020-2021

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
Just wondering what everyone was doing to prepare for next year.

My daughter (number 1 hunting buddy) just started a new job, actually an apprenticeship, with a professional dog trainer. Riding horses and training dogs, yeah she is in heaven. So looks like we will not be going out of state for a few years. So now I have to get ready for 2020-2021 without her help.
In no specific order:

-finish getting our boat rigged out: trolling motor, blind, big motor and electronics installed.
-all decoys rigged
-repaint decoys including converting some older ones to new species
-scout some new areas
-do some fine tuning to existing spots: quicker access routes, better places to "hide" boat, check some depths for better decoy placement
-run some of the drift hunts I want to take

This was our first year with the boat so finding a lot of things we could do to make hunting out of it more efficient.

I know this season was not the best. But with a new year comes new adventures. To be honest, I am already excited.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
yeap,,,Earl and I are in full planning mode,,,most of my duck hunting is already planned, but have some still in the works

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
My grandson will be 8 this coming season. I hope his mom will agree he can start shooting. He really likes to sit in a duck blind and peep like a teal. He thinks Mattamuskeet is heaven.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Got an invite to go to Kansas. Locally I'll be hunting on the coast and in the backyard again. I got a bunch of old Herter's that need some TLC too.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
- looking to get my first boat
-working with the dog more, trying to get him consistent on 100yd+ retrieves
- planning to move back to WV before next season, have to find new places to hunt as I didn’t begin waterfowling until after we moved to NC
- building my first blind (usually just tuck into brush along the banks and hunt by myself)
- in 2019 I put about 5,000 shells through my guns on the skeet field, this year I’d like to be at 10,000
-planning a hunt to KY for the early teal/wood duck season

JD1107

Got some diver duck decoys to paint, then the usual. Wait till next season. I’ve got a few private swamps that I’ll work on, but other then that just waiting patiently for next season. Till then it’s fishing then turkey time!

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Right now, reloading all my non-tox shot shells (12 and 28 gauge) that will probably still be around when I kick the bucket if we continue to have seasons like we’ve been having the last few years. Pretty much have everything else ready to go again, including my grassed blind sections that didn’t see any use this year ....

coachcornbread

Ten Pointer
Right now, reloading all my non-tox shot shells (12 and 28 gauge) that will probably still be around when I kick the bucket if we continue to have seasons like we’ve been having the last few years. Pretty much have everything else ready to go again, including my grassed blind sections that didn’t see any use this year ....
How do you like your 28 gauge James? Im thinking really hard about getting one for dove hunting and woodie shoots.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Love it Mike, been shooting the two I have for years. You won’t be under gunned in the dove field and surprisingly does well on ducks, especially with HW13 #6’s. Biggest issue is with finding non-tox ammo other than steel 6’s but Kent has bismuth and now Boss has gotten into the 28ga. game.
Get you a good one, I’ll load you up a box of steel 4’s that run around 1480 FPS. That’s what these woodies ran into. 5FFCCD87-FC71-4FE1-AE1F-8CAC7CFF3F29.jpeg4600675A-9FCE-450A-AA79-F76861D32F2F.jpeg

LIZZRD

Eight Pointer
thanks for the memories … I miss duck hunting the Illinois and Mississippi rivers.
been holding on to some decoys, calls, ammo for the chance I may do it again someday.

Clark

Ten Pointer
Got the ding repaired on the prop. Actually got that trout fishing on one of those mornings the birds were not there. Need to run the boat now to make sure it is ready for next year.

Patching the transom/hull on the Gheenoe.

Trying to convert my deer hauler to a Gheenoe hauler to get into some hard-to-reach spots.