Predator Management

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
More bad news they need to not walk on bridges
Small bobcat bit the dust near me. Another raider gonešŸ˜Š

I like the idea I read that you need to focus right at nesting time to kill those that are around without time for more to move in.
But that appears to be illegal in NC.
Pesky regs. šŸ˜Ÿ

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Coon hunters took care of some nest raiders last night. Saw a hunter in goldston while eating lunch- invited him to come and he and a buddy brought two dogs last night and treed five. I think this is a fun way to work on the coons. Got to hear some good dog work that everyone could enjoy. Dogs owners me.

Plus they were kind enough to run over a grinner at my driveway.
They said they would be back so maybe there will be some more taken out.
Of course with my new found trapping knowledge I may catch them all. LOL

Reactions: PG2

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
Kill anything that walks crawls.or fly's that can eat an egg or Turkey year round and it will help. Not enough coon or.varmint hunters anymore and rarely hear of a trapper doing it to sell hides. I've done all I can do the last few years and.for.the first time.in awhile This past season I never seen a yote while deer hunting,and havn't had just a couple.coons on corn, only seen one Turkey all deer season .I'm.afraid I was to.late.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
They killed three more coons tonight. And a fox got rolled on the same bridge as the bobcat.
Turkeys should get here quick and make some nests.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I think the predator mgt effort is taking off pretty well locally.
I was telling a friend in Church yesterday how well his nephew and friend had worked on my coon population with their dogs and why they needed to go.
He rattled off several new "trappers" that had discovered That:
A. Nest predators were now enemy #1 of the turkey hunters
B. Coons are vulnerable to those dog proof sets.

I think new trappers may be as big of liers as most other outdoorsman because they were quoting him telephone book numbers on small tracts in a short time. :)
I cant wait to see how the NWTF is pushing the effort in Nashville.
Now if we could get that trapping season extended here in NC. :)

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
What I tried to link to was a report of a turkey nest predator roundup in MO. They killed over 900 coons..... had them all laid out on the ground...

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
What I tried to link to was a report of a turkey nest predator roundup in MO. They killed over 900 coons..... had them all laid out on the ground...
Just about every guy I spoke with regardless of state reported the war on best raiders was in full swing.
Best report I got was from a GW in a bar in downtown Nashville.
He said he thought his state Mississippi was improving and thought some good hatches and predator control on a high level had helped. He said the clubs had contests and they were hammering them.

Just because itā€™s one thing they could do to help the turkeys.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I just read an old Lovett williams article where he flat out states that predation wont bother turkeys. Mr. Williams was a well known bio, hunter and turkey writer.
Of course he has passed and it was an old article but it is amazing how things change on the turkey front.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
I just read an old Lovett williams article where he flat out states that predation wont bother turkeys. Mr. Williams was a well known bio, hunter and turkey writer.
Of course he has passed and it was an old article but it is amazing how things change on the turkey front.

He was one of the very few in those days. So glad that we have so much more research going on today.