Prayers for Eric and Lorraine

KrisB

Ten Pointer
I hear stories about some tough situations from some of the people I pick up in the taxi, but this is one of the toughest I've ever heard. The guy is a Christian and when I asked him if it'd be ok to ask some people on an Internet forum I'm on to pray for him, he said he'd really appreciate that.

The guy is 61 and lost his job of 14 years recently. He and his 92-year-old adoptive mother, who he is very close to, were in a horrible car accident this just past Saturday. The car was totaled. I was sent to pick him up and take him to the garage his car was towed to so he could get the plates off the car and then take him to the hospital to see his mother, who is in pretty bad shape.

We stopped at his house first so he could drop off the plates and get a purse that belonged to his mother to give to her. After his adoptive father, who he was close to as well, died 8 years ago, he found a letter and $200 his father had left and in the letter, his father said to buy his mother a nice purse. So this was the purse he had bought for her and she loved it, so he hoped that might help her.

I picked him up from the hospital about 3 hours later and took him back home. He said his mom's condition had gotten worse and they were going to send her to hospice this afternoon and only gave her 3-5 days to live. He said sometimes there are miracles in hospice and people recover, so he's praying for a miracle for his mom, but he said it doesn't look likely.

There's a social worker at the hospital who is going to help him and the people at the car dealership here sound like they're going to help him out with getting a car to use until the insurance settlement comes through. He's hoping they really will do that.

When he lost his job, he lost all his friends there, and he has no family here. He's originally from Chicago, but has been here 18 years helping his parents and working at the job he just lost. So he's got nobody to help him in the area. He just got in contact with some cousins in Chicago his mom is close to and they said they'll help him out since he helped their son out some years ago during a tough situation. He seemed like a very kind, good man in a very hard situation.

The guy's name is Eric and his mom's name is Lorraine and he'd really appreciate some prayers. Thank y'all.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
I found out that Eric has a Facebook donation thing going to help with medical expenses for his mom. If anyone would like to donate, here is the link to it:

He really, really appreciates all y'all's prayers. He wrote about it on his Facebook page.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Eric is also looking for work, if anyone has any leads. I remember him saying he'd be ok with working in a grocery store and living modestly. Looks like his Facebook page is public, if anyone wants to reach out to him. I'm sure a new job in a good work environment with good people would help him a lot.

Last edited:

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Eric is also looking for work, if anyone has any leads. I remember him saying he'd be ok with working in a grocery store and living modestly. Looks like his Facebook page is public, if anyone wants to reach out to him. I'm sure a new job in a good work environment with good people would help him a lot.
At the risk of sounding like a jerk, he should have no problem finding one without any leads from us. Especially if he’s willing to work retail/grocery/fast food etc. But he could shoot for a higher bar and get an entry level position in the trades too. Maybe he’d not be into that at his age, I don’t know. But the hopeful part is there is work everywhere right now and he will find something

KrisB

Ten Pointer
At the risk of sounding like a jerk, he should have no problem finding one without any leads from us. Especially if he’s willing to work retail/grocery/fast food etc. But he could shoot for a higher bar and get an entry level position in the trades too. Maybe he’d not be into that at his age, I don’t know. But the hopeful part is there is work everywhere right now and he will find something
Agreed, I just wanted to put that out there just in case anyone knew of anything. But, yes, I'm hoping he'll find something soon since a lot of places are hiring now just about everywhere.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Just read a post of his on Facebook. It sounds like his mom did pass. If y'all could keep him in your prayers, I know he'd appreciate it if he knew. He was really stunned and appreciative when he found out I'd asked y'all to pray for him and people he didn't even know were praying for him and his mom.