Prayer needed.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Kneemail sent for a visit from the Great Comforter. Just keep on keepin'on brother, things will get better.....

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
Now that “everywhere” is hiring I can’t find another job unless I want $15 per hour. I look terrible on paper. (Not wonderful in person either). Nah really I need a job in the Piedmont that pays okay and has benefits.

My work/family situation is degrading. Yeah, I made THAT mistake. I’ve worked for my step dad before and all was well. Went back when I left the Sheriffs office and things couldn’t be worse. The job is fine, the pay is good, but no benefits. Its the personal side. I caught him cheating on my mother. To add to the trouble I’m thinking my mom might even divorce his sorry a…tail. Im on a fast sinking ship. Until I get something going I have to go into work everyday like nothing is going on. Hard enough to show up then try not to punch him in the throat.

So now that everyone knows my business got any ideas??

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
Army? That ship sailed a long time ago. I would gladly join now if I wasn’t so old.

I guess it was a long shot putting this out there but the chapel seemed appropriate because I need God more than anything. Thanks again for thoughts and prayers.

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Keep your head up. Remove yourself from any toxic mess that will impede you from accomplishing what you want for your family. Not sure what your skill set is, but employers are looking for good help and a lot of markets are very competitive right now. Set the tone that you will be successful in your goals.... work hard...and you will be.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
{{{{Hugs}}}} I can relate, @Tobyscreams . I just got a part-time job driving for a local taxi company, along with very part-time work editing for a startup app since March. My mother is helping me until I have full-time work again with health benefits.

All I can advise is try to only worry about the things that you yourself can control. You can't fix your mom's situation with your stepdad and being upset about it only hurts you, nobody else. I know it's hard not to be upset by something like that, but if you can take that energy and put it into something that is for the good, that can be helpful.

I also know how hard it is trying to find work when you don't look so great on paper. I know it sucks, but just keep trying. I had a job for a year at a library because I made myself keep filling out job applications.

And keep praying. This taxi gig literally fell out of the sky and has been really good so far. The company owner had been picking me up to take me to the airport and whatnot and I guess he liked me, 'cause the last trip from the airport he picked me up on, he offered me this job. And he's a really decent man. Best employer I've ever had so far. You never know when you might meet somebody who will decide to give you a chance. I'll be keeping you in my prayers.

Last edited:

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
Added you and your family to my prayer list.
May His peace, that surpasses our understanding, be with you.

I’ve been through some tough times and much later could look back and see what He was doing in my life at that time. Even though at the time it seemed bad it was for my good and His glory. I pray you’ll come out of this much better than you could ever imagine now.

God bless you brother.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Hate to see you having these problems, but they actually sound like with a new job removed from the family issues things will dramatically improve.
Lots of signs along the highway construction jobs, I'd say check in there and you should find something soon.
Those jobs will start at good money and the benefits will come shortly after you prove you'll show up every day.
Several big projects around you and me.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Hang in there pal. If you’re able to leave the Piedmont, my plant and a few others out here are hiring. But Idk if that feasible with the other stuff ya got going on. Strike somewhere while the iron is hot tho. I know of a few places needing help so bad that they’d rather take their chances on somebody that doesn’t necessarily “look good on paper” than hold their breath looking for the perfect candidate. If you can get your foot in the door and be reliable, they aren’t gonna pull you in for a 90 day review and say “well you’ve done an excellent job, but we just can’t accept the fact that your resume don’t look good.” Keep the faith and keep praying. Do the footwork and God will take care of the rest. And I used to be an absolute train wreck of a person lol , so I’m not saying that from a position of arrogance

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
So now that everyone knows my business got any ideas??

Beat the hell out of his ass and get away from him. Back your mother the best you can.

Life is too freaking short to have to go to work everyday where you can't stand it.

apply, apply, and apply for some jobs. something will come along. If you survived working for the Sherriff, $15/hr and your knife making skills might be enough for a short while until something better comes along.

But 1st, get away from your step-dad.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Good luck and I hope things get better for you.

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
Hang in there pal. If you’re able to leave the Piedmont, my plant and a few others out here are hiring. But Idk if that feasible with the other stuff ya got going on. Strike somewhere while the iron is hot tho. I know of a few places needing help so bad that they’d rather take their chances on somebody that doesn’t necessarily “look good on paper” than hold their breath looking for the perfect candidate. If you can get your foot in the door and be reliable, they aren’t gonna pull you in for a 90 day review and say “well you’ve done an excellent job, but we just can’t accept the fact that your resume don’t look good.” Keep the faith and keep praying. Do the footwork and God will take care of the rest. And I used to be an absolute train wreck of a person lol , so I’m not saying that from a position of arrogance

where ya at?

I was just officially “temporarily laid off”

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
where ya at?

I was just officially “temporarily laid off”
Whoops sorry just saw this. I live in Yancey county . My plant is in weaverville in Buncombe county. Thermofisher Scientific. There’s another plant here in Yancey in Burnsville . Altec. There’s another plant in Canton(near Asheville ). Also Buncombe county. It’s short notice but they’re having a hiring event this Wednesday and doing on the spot interviews and hiring . If you search “conmet Asheville” and scroll down a little bit there’s links to it on Indeed. All these places have entry level jobs if the specific skills/trades are stuff you don’t have experience with. Once you get your foot in the door, they like hiring from within if you decide to try out a different department later on. I could work for people I know and be 5 min from the house , but I like having health insurance and other benefits . If I remember correctly you said your wife needs to stay with the company she’s at, which would hinder relocating. Do you mind me asking what she does? Everywhere between here and Asheville is a hiring frenzy.

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
She’s a social worker, well supervisor. DHHS. Yeah she’s got the good job and our benefits so we are pretty anchored.

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
Nah didn’t get the chance. Had surgery on my toe and was out last week (no pay). Was told Sunday evening. What great timing. That should have been my “wait week”.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I have an interview Tuesday morning at 8 and I’m actually afraid.
Most of the times my fear or anxiety is just my head lying to me or trying to sabotage me from
getting a better opportunity. Maybe that’s not your case tho. Either way. Just approach it with the same candor as you do with us on here and you’ll ace it