Practice Distance

Contenderv07

Six Pointer
I got my bow about 2 days ago and I've been practicing with it. Here are some pics from 25 yards. It's not great but not bad. I know I need a TON more practice, but I was wondering what yardage should I be extending out to?? I want to be ready for deer season, but want to be prepared for the yardage..I actually had one go IN to my fence post lol.

Last edited:

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I practice twice as far as I plan to shoot. I shoot a bare stick, no sights, so that's 45yards for me. Understand that practicing long shots make you a lot more confident on the short ones.....

The best thing you can do right now is shoot some 3D tournaments. Just go to shoot and have fun, it'll do you a world of good!

Last edited:

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Practice as far back as you can and keep all the arrows on target. I shoot 3d out to 50 yds but practice at 75-90 for fun.

Contenderv07

Six Pointer
wow, thats a lot farther than I thought I'd have to shoot, but I guess thats better than not having any experience at those distances.

NCHNTR

Old Mossy Horns
If you can drill it at 40-45....15-20 becomes a chip shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dthbyhoyt

Old Mossy Horns
Practice as far as you feel good at , just keep in mind that shooting at a live deer is way different , so keep those shots as close as you can ...

Contenderv07

Six Pointer
Practice as far as you feel good at , just keep in mind that shooting at a live deer is way different , so keep those shots as close as you can ...
Sorry to be so stupid about this, but how is it way different?? Is it just that its moving, not to mention the shooter's heart will be close to exploding in his chest?? LOL

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Sorry to be so stupid about this, but how is it way different?? Is it just that its moving, not to mention the shooter's heart will be close to exploding in his chest?? LOL

Different because angles, deer flinch and if alert on shot can create large difference, heart rate, how long you might have to hold, how frozen you are, how many clothes your wearing, seated position possibly? Also how long you've been sitting before shot. Oh, and deer don't have circles on their side.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Until you build muscle memory with good form, I would shoot less arrows at a time. Like 2/3 then go get them. It may not be real obvious but just a little fatigue is going to change your form, and shooting with bad form will be counter productive.

Paper

I shoot 15-20 shots most days. Start at 20 and work back to 40. I noticed the less shots I give myself the more time I take each shot and more consistent I am with my form.

Redeye

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I practice out to 60 yards but would not shoot a deer that far unless conditions were perfect. As was already mentioned, by practicing the long shots will make the shorter ones easier.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you think you will ever consider a hinge release, I would suggest looking into it now. I tell everyone this when they are starting.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I practice at 15-65 yards. To start keep some what close, right now your building a consistent and repeatable form more than anything. Once your groups are consistently tight move it on back, like NCHNTR said if you can hit at 45 20 becomes much easier. Also vary up the distances, if your pins are set at 20, 30, 40, 50 throw in targets at random distances in between like 37 or 23 to get used to using your pin gap to compensate for it

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
With my current hunting set up, I feel comfortable taking a shot at a deer at 40 yds. I spend a lot of time practicing at 60-80yds. It makes those 30-40yd shots seem easy.

Contenderv07

Six Pointer
perfect, this is exactly what I needed!! I guess I need to find some 3D shoots around me. OH, I've got some more questions (sorry, this is my first time shooting one much less owning one)
1. Do you ever practice from your stands??
2. I've got the tru-fire max edge foldback release.... do I need to get a hinge one?? Whats the difference or is it a feel kind of thing??
3. I've got mine set to 55#, if I move up to 65 or 70 do I need to change arrows?? (right now I have 340's)
4. Should I invest in a rangefinder to train my eyes for distances???

Thanks again for everyones' help and sorry for the newb questions

Last edited:

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Get a range finder, you dont need the most expensive one out, i use a cheap tasco 600.
At 70 lbs a 340 spine should work fine but check the shaft charts for you brand to be sure.
I think a release is 100% a feel thing any good release will do what its supposed to and whats comfortable for you is key.
Practicing from a stand if you can is great practice, you need to learn how to move around in it anyway.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
I practice from 60-100yds this time of year. I know people say that's crazy.....But it teaches you how to hold and aim. If you can group at these distances anything closer is a chip shot. I dont shoot a lot of arrows maybe 10 groups of three. Concentrate on fewer better shots than many mediocre shots. If you are not comfortable with the shot let down and start again. When August comes around it will be back to 20-50 yds.

Last edited:

NCHNTR

Old Mossy Horns
Get a range finder, you dont need the most expensive one out, i use a cheap tasco 600.
At 70 lbs a 340 spine should work fine but check the shaft charts for you brand to be sure.
I think a release is 100% a feel thing any good release will do what its supposed to and whats comfortable for you is key.
Practicing from a stand if you can is great practice, you need to learn how to move around in it anyway.

something else that will help as Sept gets closer.....shoot with ALL the gear you will be wearing your first bow hunt, everything including safety vest. "practice like you play"

Redeye

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
something else that will help as Sept gets closer.....shoot with ALL the gear you will be wearing your first bow hunt, everything including safety vest. "practice like you play"

Great advise! I had to learn that lesson the hard way. :(

Regarding practicing from a stand - definately! When shooting from a treestand, I constantly remind myself to aim a little low. :)

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Rangefinders reassure you if nothing else. 340s should work at 65lbs well and 70 lbs decently. Not stiff enough at 70 for fast bows, but keep you broadheads at 100grains and less and it should work for you. I shoot 330s or 340s at 72 lbs and it isn't optimal, but it works fine.

When they say aim low...know your yardage and make heart shots. Deer will try hard to drop down sometimes. They don't have to be looking at you to be "alert". If you make a heart shot and they drop, they will most likely catch it in the lungs or spine. Aiming for that perfect double lung shot can net you a clean miss if they drop down. Those creatures are fast. They haven't and won't make a bow faster than a deere reflexes.

I used to practice out of a treestand or roof. Sometimes now I still shoot out of a stand about 3' up on an old telephone pole. A 5 gallon bucket works as well. I would suggest learning to shoot from a seated position unless you plan on standing all the time.

Your release is fine...to my knowledge they are all great releases. In 3d shooting, it seems that everyone wants to switch to a "back tension" release. It is very hard to switch from a trigger to a "back tension" (hinge) release IMO. Learn to shoot your release by pulling with your back muscles and not just pulling the trigger with your finger. Look up a few YouTube vids and you will understand what I mean.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I wouldn't train for distance outside of 3d tourneys. In the woods, get your rangefinder out as soon as you get to your stand and mark trees and stuff so that you know how far a deer is when they come in. No use in guessing when hunting.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Another tip: Understand that the angle from a tree stand on most shots changes your draw length UNLESS you bend at the waist to keep the same "T" form you have from the ground. 9 out of 10 people will shoot high and wonder why. The answer is usually that they dropped their arm to the shot instead of bending at the waist to keep their form constant. Try it for yourself from an elevated position. If you don't bend at the waist you'll shoot high almost every time.....

C52

Eight Pointer
I've been shooting for a few months now. The first time I shot from one of my stands I realized its a whole new game. On the ground you can stand the same way every shot, when you start twisting and getting your feet turned wrong while trying not to alert the deer, it gets real different real fast.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
aim in the deers arm pit or your will shoot high bent at waist or not. deer will move a fraction of a foot in a split second. As soon as that bow goes off they lunge down to jump out of the way of the noise.
release is all preference. Since I started shooting a hinge I like it and have never shot better with any other release.