Pozole with duck

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I enjoy New Mexican Native American derived foods,,,,good simple flavorful meals,,,,(have to skip the fry bread most of the time though,,,,ain't as young as I once was!!)

had a hankerin' for pozole and even though tradition says "use hog meat" there weren't no hogs back when,,,,so I wanted to use duck,,,

ingredients

cup dried hominy
spice mix (don't ask - got it in new mexico)
1 duck
1 medium onion
1 garlic clove
bit o' bacon grease (any oil will work - but hey, had the grease)
red pepper powder
garlic pepper

used the electric pressure cooker

first - hominy precook - or you can soak them overnight. I opted to use a "precook" method - add dried hominy to cooker, add 6 cups water. Set cooker to 10 minutes on high. When done, allow pressure to drop on it's own.

While that is going on, cut up duck. Seasoned with garlic pepper and a slight dusting of the red pepper powder.

Heat bacon grease (just to cover bottom of skillet) to hot - brown meat on both sides.

(I could have ended here and just ate the duck - it tasted great coming out of this pan!!)

Open the pressure cooker (after pressure has dropped naturally), add pozole seasonings and stir well.

Then add meat, chopped onion, and sliced thing garlic.

Set pressure cooker to high for 40 minutes. Go get some work done or train dog,

come back,,,serve with a topping of sliced spring onions and sliced jalapenos

dang good,,,,duck was falling off the bone and yet wasn't dry a bit,,,,flavor is - well I like it IMMENSELY,,,,

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
That wasn't the duck you promised to bring to the get together is it????? Bad enough you stiffed us on that now you are posting photos and telling us how much you enjoyed it??? :panic::poop:o_O:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
That wasn't the duck you promised to bring to the get together is it????? Bad enough you stiffed us on that now you are posting photos and telling us how much you enjoyed it??? :panic::poop:o_O:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL:

had to do something with it!!

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
My parents live in Norrhern New Mexico. Get some Chimayo chiles and try some carne adovada with bear meat.

Delicious
Don't have any bear so I have to make my adovada with pork. My wife's people came from Trinidad, CO and Santa Fe area so we make a batch of caldito and other dishes regularly. I just made a big pot of caldo de pollo yesterday which should last a couple more days.

Last edited:

pinehunter

Eight Pointer
Nice! They live in Santa Fe now. My father is from Pueblo, CO. Apparently there is quite a high school sports rivalry with Trinidad.

Enjoy the caldo de pollo!