Powder

crittergitter

Ten Pointer
Since I am a newbie in reloading I have a question that I may can get an answer to here. Is there an all around good powder that I can use for 270, 223, 243, and 44 mag rifle? I think the 44 will require a different powder but I am not sure. My manuals are old but the data is good for the powders of that era. I am picking up or printing out new data as I pick up new powder, if I can figure out which one(s) to buy.
Thanks, Mike

Sent from my iPhone using My big fat fingers.

Last edited:

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You will need a different powder for the 44. I like H110 but have heard 2400 is good too. Hodgdon Varget will work ok in the other 3 if you want just one powder.

haywoodhunter

Eight Pointer
4350 (I use imr) would work very well in the .243 and .270, .223 would be better suited with a faster burn rate though. I haven't used varget personally but it seems like it wouldn't quite be optimal for .270. Seems like people who try it report less than stellar velocity. Has anybody here used varget in their.270?

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
No one pwoder is going to load 44 Mag, 223 Rem, 243 Win, and 270 Win. At Best you will need 2 powders. In the 44 Mag since you are going to use it in a rifle, I would go with Alliant 2400 powder. With 2400 powderstart about 2gr-3gr below max and work up to max in .5gr increments. You should find a load close to max but in handguns, a max load has not proven to the most accurate, but a couple of grains below max has proven to be very accurate. Since I am an IMR powder guy, I would get IMR-4064 to load the 223 Rem, 243 Win, and 270 Win. With IMR-4064, you will give up about 100 FPS in the 223 Rem with 55gr-62gr bullets, but in the 243 Win and 270 Win you are right there in the ball park along with at least a dozen other powders velocity wise.

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
For 44 mag - 2400 is my favorite for accuracy. Also good results with Unique. Just started playing with HS-6; but have not found the right load yet.
.243 = IMR-4064

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
No one pwoder is going to load 44 Mag, 223 Rem, 243 Win, and 270 Win. At Best you will need 2 powders. In the 44 Mag since you are going to use it in a rifle, I would go with Alliant 2400 powder. With 2400 powderstart about 2gr-3gr below max and work up to max in .5gr increments. You should find a load close to max but in handguns, a max load has not proven to the most accurate, but a couple of grains below max has proven to be very accurate. Since I am an IMR powder guy, I would get IMR-4064 to load the 223 Rem, 243 Win, and 270 Win. With IMR-4064, you will give up about 100 FPS in the 223 Rem with 55gr-62gr bullets, but in the 243 Win and 270 Win you are right there in the ball park along with at least a dozen other powders velocity wise.

You can never go wrong with IMR 4064.

crittergitter

Ten Pointer
Wow this site never ceases to amaze me with the wealth of knowledge that is on here! Thank you for all the input! I figured that the 44 mag was going to require a different powder. The main reason I was asking was not due to cost of having so much different powders but so I could simplify my loading until I get a bit more experienced in the science of it.