poults

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
N GA reports…3 hens with 38 poults a few weeks ago. 2 hens seen this morning with 8 chicken size wee ones👍 Hard to see em as it ain’t been mowed, and won’t be for at least 3 more weeks. I may leave it for August🤷‍♂️

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Saw two hens with a few poults off the road a bit in a bean field 3 miles from the house yesterday. I was moving too fast to count, but some is better than none.

The hen that raised 10 poults behind the house last year has none this year. Still hoping for some, none yet though.

Jim

Putt

Old Mossy Horns
K
Which begs the question.

Do hens have a sound they make to gather the posse? I.e. is it the normal cluck, and if so, should I switch to this for coyote hunting for a few weeks/month?

Which begs the question.

Do hens have a sound they make to gather the posse? I.e. is it the normal cluck, and if so, should I switch to this for coyote hunting for a few weeks/month?
Kee Kee is what I try to memic

Shockgobbles

Six Pointer
Checked cams after being away from home for a month, very few hen pics and those that I did get had no poults with them. On the bright side I did capture 4 or 5 jakes that had not been previously seen on the family farm during the season or on camera, and a few bucks with potential.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
This is the first time in a decade that I haven’t seen any poults at all. I’ve been all over the place. I also have not seen hardly any turkeys in quite some time. Kinda scary that I never see them around any more when I used to hardly ever go a day without seeing them.

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Saw two hens with about a dozen poults this morning just outside sunset/ ocean isle beach on 179…. Saw several other broods out toward long wood and Ash in Brunswick co.

I was driving back to WV and made a detour to drive through some old stomping grounds in Hoke county, saw a hen with several poults (couldn’t get a count) in Scotland county off 401 near Wagram.

good grief the development in Hoke county is not slowing down.

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Cool picture, wish the tree and vine were not there
I thought about cutting the vine, but lots of wildlife uses it. Seen turkeys, hawks, owls, doves, flying squirrels, mice, and foxes on that thing. I decided to set the camera there because I saw a gobbler standing on top of that vine from my kitchen window a few years ago. It has cost me some nice shots though.

Jim

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
I thought about cutting the vine, but lots of wildlife uses it. Seen turkeys, hawks, owls, doves, flying squirrels, mice, and foxes on that thing. I decided to set the camera there because I saw a gobbler standing on top of that vine from my kitchen window a few years ago. It has cost me some nice shots though.

Jim

Somebody good with photoshop could make a very cool frame worthy pic out of it

2nd Calling

Six Pointer
Got a picture of a hen with at least 6 decent sized poults this morning...put a huge smile on my face and gave me some hope for the next few years.

I know it's hotly debated as to the reason for a decrease in numbers, I do aggressively trap nest predators and feel that that has had a positive impact on poult survival, purely anecdotal.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Done some mowing(hogging)in Ga this weekend. Only hit the thick stuff, that wasn’t suitable bugging grounds, and left the rest alone. Some 12 ft wide zig zags through some of it, just try to create diversity.

Turkeys hadn’t been seen in a week or so, but hens and chicken sized poults were out this morn:greenjump::greenjump::greenjump: