poults

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
saw poults for the first time this year - a hen crossed a back road and two poults followed - not the #s I'd like to see, but two anyhow
just a day or two old I suspect based on size - tiny little buggers

doubt they make it - such is how it goes

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
Which begs the question.

Do hens have a sound they make to gather the posse? I.e. is it the normal cluck, and if so, should I switch to this for coyote hunting for a few weeks/month?

waymoe1

Ten Pointer
Had a huge storm in Person county over the weekend. All I could think about was the poults that it probably killed.

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
saw poults for the first time this year - a hen crossed a back road and two poults followed - not the #s I'd like to see, but two anyhow
just a day or two old I suspect based on size - tiny little buggers

doubt they make it - such is how it goes
Two is pretty great compared to some... several years ago I got a trail cam photo of 5 hens crossing a pasture with one single poult among them all. I figured its chance of surviving was pretty good with the eyes of 5 hens watching for danger.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
At least it is hot. I wouldn't worry about heavy rain. Happens every year although I'm sure some get washed away.

Reactions: jug

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
These heavy storms are going to ruin the hatch if they do t stop.Highwinds and pouring rain then a big temperature drOp today. Did see 5 male turkey in a pasture close to home.to far and grass to high see beards,but all had red heads. Not checked any of my camera yet hope to one day this week.

huntngolf

Six Pointer
We will find out later but I think this hatch should be pretty good based on weather. This is the only big rain event we've had during nesting season but we have had enough small rain to have good vegetation growth. I can remember back in 2020 we had rain about every other day or so during late April and May and the hatch was horrible. Now if we had this rain and temps in the 40s it would be devastating.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
At least it is hot. I wouldn't worry about heavy rain. Happens every year although I'm sure some get washed away.
Warm in lower elevations was chilly all day in mtns today same tomorrow with up to 2 inches rain by time stops. It didn't stop all day today. On plus side seen another strutter with 4 hens. 4th strutter I've seen with hens since season went out. He hammered every yelp I threw his way.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I'm little surprised I was on rd from 0900 till after 5 seen fair amt birds in fields but no poults seen in mtns yet. On plus side for nests all the rain delayed hay cutting

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Think weather this week going to be a little rough on em. Not sure how much rain we had yesterday but it’s in the inches and rained all night. Hopefully it’s warm enough.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
These heavy storms are going to ruin the hatch if they do t stop.Highwinds and pouring rain then a big temperature drOp today. Did see 5 male turkey in a pasture close to home.to far and grass to high see beards,but all had red heads. Not checked any of my camera yet hope to one day this week.
yep- it's a dire situation for 2024. maybe they should cancel season? At least in moore county and the uwharries.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I busted a hen one day at close range about 15 yrs ago. She had 8-9 polts with her. She flew off a distance. The polts vanished. Like I looked and looked and looked and those little buggers just seemed to have been wiped off the map.

That’s why I don’t give much thought to polt surveys. I saw 8-9 at 15ft then poof, like they vanished into thin air, when in fact the only thing that went in the air was then hen.

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
If all the young hens I seen this spring raise at least 3.they usually hatch end of June. It may help. Still don't like heavy rains.