poults

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Ready to see some reports.
I rarely if ever see any poults so have to use yall to gauge the "hatch"
I dont see how the weather could have been much better up to now.
Fingers crossed.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Lots of turkey babies around here, the fact that the roadsides and fields aren't being maintained around my house has surely helped the turkeys and deer babies this year
I've probably seen at least 30 babies so far since late May.

GUP

Eight Pointer
Got a report from a friend (local farmer) that saw 3 hens with what he described to be a whole bunch of little ones about half a foot tall. Couple of weeks ago. Said it looked like 2 dozen babes. He’s a pretty reliable source. Like hearing reports like that. Gives me hope

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have not seen any poults yet. I have seen 3 hens a time or two around 7:00 in the evening feeding along a woodline in the edge of a pasture from a distance that would make it hard to see little ones. On the other hand, the hay crop has just been mowed and baled and I did not see any sign of carnage in areas where nest have been destroyed in previous years. And now that the hay is gone, there is a much better chance of seeing them for the next couple of weeks.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Talking to a fella today who has cut and rolled 1800 round bales this spring. Has not seen a turkey nest yet. Killed a bunch of fawns but no turkeys.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Saw 2 young hens yesterday while in Mitchell county trout fishing… No poults BUT the hens were small and young… typically don’t get bred

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
with this perfect weather you sure dont expect this lack of sighting info.
I saw the area smoke hen friday and saw no poults.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Finally seen some 2 groups 1 hen had 4 another best I could tell had 7 both were tiny recent hatch. This has potential to be be back back good hatches combined with last year. We shall see for sure can't blame weather plus lots late hatching in mtns. I have lots hope

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
I just saw one small poult trying to cross hwy 86 in Caswell county, I swerved around it but the draft from the truck blew it out to middle of the road.
I watched in the rear view mirror as it got back on its feet but it was disoriented and trying to go back the way it came but more traffic was coming.
Hope he didn't get hit.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
Saw a hen in a field between subdivisions in Wake Co two weeks ago - she was standing as if she was guarding something and I was pretty sure at the time she had to have poults with her.

Merlin

Six Pointer
There had been a hen hanging around here for a couple of weeks in and around the wheat field next to our house. I was hoping that she had a nest close by. They combined the wheat Saturday and baled the straw Sunday. I walked out in the field Sunday evening and found a nest with 6 or 7 eggs that had been run over by the combine.☹️ I figured that she had abandoned it since we hadn’t seen her in a week or so but she was out this evening where the nest was. First I’d seen her in about a week. Isn’t it kind of late for her to still have been on the nest?

bhwaugh1

Six Pointer
Saw 2 hens together on one lease yesterday and 1 hen on another lease yesterday. Neither had poults with them 😢