Poults

Randy

Ten Pointer
Been seeing about a ten to a dozen turkeys in a field on my way to work about every morning the last couple of weeks. Can't get a good enough look so far to tell their sex and/or age.

GUP

Eight Pointer
Seen 2 hens with about 10 poults in northern Wake Co near Rolesville yesterday afternoon. All good size and plenty big enough to fly. Still amazed that these birds have done so well in an area like this with all the concrete jungles around here. Glad to see it. Put a smile on my face.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
My son saw 2 hens with about 11 poults up outside of Asheville last weekend...

So far on my summer survey card I've got 10 gobblers, 1 hen and 1 unknown adult. Zero poults.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Working around Maggie Valley so these birds are not huntable but still a good idea of Haywood County production this year. Saw a hen with 9 tiny ones yesterday that I’m afraid most won’t make it through this damn heavy rain this morning (they were the size of the chicks you’d buy at Tractor Supply) and just now saw 3 hens with 7 poults the size of chickens. Have seen a few poultless hens as well.

TomstoSwans486

Four Pointer
I was out on a lease in Roanoke Rapids and saw two hens with at least 9 poults two weeks ago. All healthy! Such a great sign to see. This spring I also saw at least 6 Jake's...that thankfully no one shot. Grateful to have birds for years to come

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Saw 7-8 pretty large poults at the club this past weekend. Great to see. From what I’ve seen the hatch was good this year.

Hens at house however are poultless still, critters got the whole lot of em

Reactions: jug

klim

Twelve Pointer
Been seeing 2 hens and 8 poults here near the house in Carthage about every morning and afternoon (for the last 2 weeks) going to and from work, the poults about the size of the ones in the picture above.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This is a series of pics from a cam left over an old food plot for the summer. This group of hens and poults were frequent visitors and clearly were feeding here regularly. I just picked out a few photos that were spaced over time.

It's hard to tell exactly how many there are, but there seems to be a good number of poults for the hens, and they didn't lose many at all during this time. Interestingly, I bushhogged this in late July, and I haven't gotten a pic of them here since.

MFDC8511.jpgMFDC9420.jpgMFDC0036.jpgMFDC0448.jpg

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
This is a series of pics from a cam left over an old food plot for the summer. This group of hens and poults were frequent visitors and clearly were feeding here regularly. I just picked out a few photos that were spaced over time.

It's hard to tell exactly how many there are, but there seems to be a good number of poults for the hens, and they didn't lose many at all during this time. Interestingly, I bushhogged this in late July, and I haven't gotten a pic of them here since.

View attachment 72202View attachment 72203View attachment 72200View attachment 72201
My guess reason for no more pics is by bushhogging you removed their brood range made them feel exposed so they just moved to a more secure location

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My guess reason for no more pics is by bushhogging you removed their brood range made them feel exposed so they just moved to a more secure location
Right. There is plenty of cover, just yards away, but they seemed to be feeding (bugs?) in this plot. After mowing, I guess it altered it enough for them to move on.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Right. There is plenty of cover, just yards away, but they seemed to be feeding (bugs?) in this plot. After mowing, I guess it altered it enough for them to move on.
Hens favorite place to feed their brood is grown up field not super thick since most of little ones diet is bugs perfect place to hide and eat its what kills us in mtn national forest from having loads of turkeys the lack of that brood range. Glad see you got decent group there I'd bet you see them durung fall