Poults

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Was on the phone walking around the back yard and looked across neighbors yard. There was a hen pecking along in the tall grass, when she came out into a little grove of oaks with no grass there must have been 10 if not more tiny poults with her, looked like tiny chicks you see at southern states. Don' think they could have been more than a few days old.

Hopefully a few make it! Maybe this warn, dry weather will lead to a good hatch this year.

Anybody else seeing any yet?

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Just as I crossed the edge of property line at our lease…. There stood a hen and 7 tiny poults (probably only 2 weeks old)

CF740F78-8085-4542-888B-478C477EAE60.jpeg
Been dry around home but from the looks of it Grayson county VA hasn’t been… green and lush. Hay fields still uncut… and it’s been raining off and on all eve

kilacam

Six Pointer
Not the best picture but just saw 4 hens and about 8-10 poults with them. You can see the poults to the left of the hen down in the field. Looking good!

Attachments

• 0529210839a.jpg
    0529210839a.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 44

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Seen 1 hen stand at edge of Mt Pisgah church road here in Harnett,,,, near little river
when I pulled in front of her and stopped to slow traffic down,,,,
2 poults flew across the road behind me. Maybe there was more with her but I saw 2 fly about 4 feet off the ground.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Seen 3 gobblers strutting with 8 or 9 hens in Duplin County yesterday evening after a rain.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Over the past 2 days Ive seen 5 different mature hens in an area of about 4 square miles. All were alone, no poults.
Polk Co..
Same here I've seen 7 lone hens in diff areas this week no poults should start seeing any time hopefully. Crappy thing 2 were near cut hay fields

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
The cold snap a few weeks back with that rain killed alot of them.Seen one hen that had some but grass was high.3 weeks ago.. Now these downpours we get about everyday is not helping.it hot but a wet hen and pults on the ground don't live long over night.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
The cold snap a few weeks back with that rain killed alot of them.Seen one hen that had some but grass was high.3 weeks ago.. Now these downpours we get about everyday is not helping.it hot but a wet hen and pults on the ground don't live long over night.
:panic::panic::panic::panic:

Reactions: jug

JWH15

Six Pointer
Maybe take next season off so the population can recover some.

Reactions: jug

huntngolf

Six Pointer
Had a guy i know tell me today a week ago or so he was cutting hay and ran over a hen on nest that killed the hen. He said he felt terrible so salvaged 6 eggs not broken and took home and put over a light. He said it wasnt a few days that all of them hatched and he has them all in a container and said they are the wildest chicks he has ever seen. Asked me when he should release them and i told him atleast until they can fly or they would all be dead by predators without hen.
Crazy that eggs were that close to hatching and hen sat on nest .

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Saw hen today with 3 poults, hope it’s not the same one I saw when I started this thread. At that rate she won’t have any left. Good news is they could fly, heard their odds go up once they could fly.

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
Saw hen today with 3 poults, hope it’s not the same one I saw when I started this thread. At that rate she won’t have any left. Good news is they could fly, heard their odds go up once they could fly.
I'd bet it's the same brood....

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Mike Seamster told me once,
that 3 to 4 poults that make to flying status is considered a good hatch. 2 to 3 is average .

Deep River

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Saw my first poults of the year on the farm today. 8 of them and they could fly. I was beginning to wonder if the late May cold snaps had gotten them all.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Had 3 hens with not 1 poult in my front field today here in Harnett.