Poults

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Been watching 2 hens that have 5 poults between them. They were showing up every evening. Went on work trip and today I saw the 2 hens and no poults. Fingers crossed they stayed back in the woods and didn’t become Wiley coyote’s dinner.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I saw at least 9 poults this am.
Glad to see them as they solved the mystery of the three gobblers I saw on the edge of the road one spring morning with their necks stuck out.
Seems there is a free range chicken operation in that spot that now has some free ranging turkeys.
I am thinking this is going to be a good spot to let some beginning callers work on their skills. :)

ol bob

Six Pointer
I have 11 hens that come through the yard every day and have not seen a poult this year not looking good.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
So the 9 poults were out this am. one was feeling frisky and was perched up on a box house all blown up in that dominance posture we all love to see.

I pulled out the henbone call I ride around with ;stopped and yelped at the group. Those heads shot up and they were sure looking but alas no response.

I sure hope these live long enough to be able to respond. :) Practice turkeys. Ugly colored tame practice turkeys. LOL

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Seen 2 hens with 6 this morning crossing the road near the house.
I am covered up with Turkeys in Harnett.
See one every morning near the house.
Cant believe it. I wish my dad was alive to see them all down here.

Attachments

• 20190725_094851.jpg
    20190725_094851.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 20190725_094859.jpg
    20190725_094859.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 24

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
seen a hen today (she was a monster) with poults that were smaller then guinea hens,,,,small little buggers,,,,

3rd rut???

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Saw 3 hens with 17 poults and another with six today. Most I’ve seen in years. All poults about size of chickens

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
A friend texted me a picture last night of 4 hens with 14 poults up in Northern Gaston. We know of two which fell prey to hawks out of one clutch a couple of weeks ago. These are getting almost too big for a hawk so maybe some will make it.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Been seeing all of the poults off and on last couple weeks, great to see. Two big ol longbeards were in the yard today too. That's even better to see!

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Saw 13 yesterday rounding the last bend before the house. Dad saw 9 at his house for the first time last week. Seems like a good..... uh .... I mean fair to poor hatch year.

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
The flock happened to cross the creek where I could get a picture this morning and I happened to be here to capture the moment. There's 7-8 more not in the picture. Does my heart good to see them.

Jim

Attachments

• 8-16-19 Back yard flock.jpg
    8-16-19 Back yard flock.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 21

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
The only young ones I have on camera are these guys but the land owner has seen poults.

Attachments

• MFDC3608.JPG
    MFDC3608.JPG
    224.9 KB · Views: 18

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
So the 9 poults were out this am. one was feeling frisky and was perched up on a box house all blown up in that dominance posture we all love to see.

I pulled out the henbone call I ride around with ;stopped and yelped at the group. Those heads shot up and they were sure looking but alas no response.

I sure hope these live long enough to be able to respond. :) Practice turkeys. Ugly colored tame practice turkeys. LOL
well this morning i got a fine response when i stopped and called to this crew with a tim warren henbone caller.
Five stuck their heads out and gobbled like it was march. :greenjump:
They sounded really good.
I would have called some more but a car was coming up on me.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
^^That accident report would have an interesting writeup in the paper: "Local man hit on roadside while calling to area turkeys, in August." :)

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Seen 2 hens with 3 poults old enough to fly this morning up at the Rock

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
Saw a hen marching across the new bypass around Troy Sunday evening with over ten half grown poults in a line behind her.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
My wife sent a pic yesterday from one of her customers, 13 poults two hens.
my tame ones would not gobble at my or my grandson's calling. I rode him by friday to play with them.
I had no good response when he asked "Why won't they answer?" :)

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
saw two different bunches this morning at the range,,,

first one was a group of three young gobblers (past spring's jakes) and 15 hens/youngin's

then a second group of 13 hens and youngin's,,,

nice crop of birds in that area,,,