Posting Creek Banks / Posting Public Land

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
1) GIS lines from apps like OnxHunt are often wrong...In other words the GIS does not always match the survey...I've seen if off by 100 feet...

2) Rivers don't have easements...Power companies and gas line companies have easements to maintain their lines...As we all know some idiots think these power lines were put there so they can ride their four wheelers across properties or gain access to others properties, etc...

3) It's fine to take a boat down a river and fish, but you should assume that someone owns the land that is beside the river...

4) If you cannot take a boat down the river (or creek) you can pretty much bet the survey runs to the middle of the creek...This means you do not need to be in that area or you are trespassing...

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
Take a float down the new river, posted signs everywhere along the banks, because the properties end on the banks. Is the river not some sort of “easement”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
that statement is not true. i can think of two properties that i have access to that the property line is center of waterway.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Road. Like other rivers in the area, some that have ramps, when you click on info for ownership, it’s blank.

I checked a few of the deeds and some say “bank of river”, some say “XX feet from centerline of river”, and some say from “center of river”. Most of which match up to the lines. But then that still leaves the question of ownership.

If you can access the water publicly, IE a boat ramp, then usually it's going to be navigable waters (like the Neuse River,) and the river is public to the high water mark. If you're talking about a stream, it gets a lot more complicated.

stevewes2004

Four Pointer
that statement is not true. i can think of two properties that i have access to that the property line is center of waterway.

After looking through some of the deeds, you are right. Some properties have stakes right in the creek, some don’t.

stevewes2004

Four Pointer
If you can access the water publicly, IE a boat ramp, then usually it's going to be navigable waters (like the Neuse River,) and the river is public to the high water mark. If you're talking about a stream, it gets a lot more complicated.

Gotcha. This obviously is falling on the more complicated side and it’s not worth pursuing.

I appreciate the response.

la angler

Six Pointer
I'm a timber appraiser by profession. GIS is a good tool but it's best to look at the deed of the property and hopefully a survey map may be located. Usually property lines are the center of a stream but may have a concrete marker or iron pipe on the bank that's on line. Also worth mentioning I see lots of purple paint where it's not supposed to be and I think on purpose many times.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I'm a timber appraiser by profession. GIS is a good tool but it's best to look at the deed of the property and hopefully a survey map may be located. Usually property lines are the center of a stream but may have a concrete marker or iron pipe on the bank that's on line. Also worth mentioning I see lots of purple paint where it's not supposed to be and I think on purpose many times.

This^^ I have seen neighbors take down gameland signs and put up posted signs. of course they dont put a name on the posted sign. they just dont want someone accessing public property near their house. very common on one section at harris lake.

stevewes2004

Four Pointer
This^^ I have seen neighbors take down gameland signs and put up posted signs. of course they dont put a name on the posted sign. they just dont want someone accessing public property near their house. very common on one section at harris lake.

Hence the main reason I have asked the question on this thread...

Thanks

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
and jordan. and any other COE property. they use it at their convenience but dont want the rest of us on it. Those pesky border paint jobs though ruin the effect dont they?

stevewes2004

Four Pointer
Are you talking about fishing or hunting, and are you talking about wading a stream, or floating it?

All of the above, but the example in the picture would be wading.. and as CRC said, parts of Dan River are posted going from OnX and GIS. However, learning how off lines can be it would have to be validated by the deed. One of the lines on Dan River is way off, like 100+ yds.

stevewes2004

Four Pointer
That isn't what the pic he showed was of.

Correct, that was just an example. Generic theme of this thread was about people posting public property. Either to try and keep people out or simply because they don’t know their property lines..

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Here is the earlier thread regarding much of the same subject if you haven't seen it. Just some more information and opinions on the subject which may or may not apply in your instance.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I love this game. Got a neighbor that’s “letting” me put my driveway on his property. I tried to have the conversation with him that there’s an unopened state ROW all the way across the back of our properties, to the street that our properties come out on. GIS shows it stopping at my property line and his property nosing in on what would be the remainder of the “nonexistent” ROW...
“GIS is right and yours and your dad’s deeds are wrong”

“ha OK”
Poor fool doesn’t realize I’ve got a copy of his deed and the deeds prior to that, of his land, and can actually read them 😂. I’ve got too many battles to fight right now with my house being built, but I assure you, one day, my bottled up “not today” will come out and make this fool look like an idiot.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
If you KNOW there is an easement, which kind?

Easement in gross? or

Prescriptive? (this is what OURS is) or

Appurtenant? or

Implied? or

Easement of necessity?

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
All of the above, but the example in the picture would be wading.. and as CRC said, parts of Dan River are posted going from OnX and GIS. However, learning how off lines can be it would have to be validated by the deed. One of the lines on Dan River is way off, like 100+ yds.

Why don't you call the local game warden and ask. I've done that, specifically asked "Can I hunt on this river in that location assuming I access it from a public ROW like a road/bridge.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Water ways in NC that are considered navigable, are state property. From what I have read on court cases, the property line is where the water line is currently at or at for the specified period. This makes dry ground the adjoining property owners. Flooded property I would think would still be private property.

Navigable waterways are held in public trust up to the high water mark. The high water mark was used in coastal scenarios where the tide produced a defined and consistent reference point. They adopted the same standard out west where rivers due to snowmelt, produced an easily defined high water mark.

The problem with most of the Appalachian streams is that they have neither consistent snowmelt or tidal changes, so the high water laws have become a grey area here. Currently I know the NCWRC enforces it just as you stated, if you are on dry ground in a mountain stream, you are on private property.

Last edited:

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns

This all depends on if the water is deemed navigable or not. If the water is deemed navigable, then the waterway is held in public trust and the private ownership stops at the riverbank. If it isn't, then private ownership extends to the center-line. Most mountain streams are enforced as non-navigable which is why the NCWRC has worked tirelessly with landowners to allow fishing to the public.

NC politics really screwed up the navigable laws when they decided to form their own standard versus simply applying the Army COE standards like most other states. The Army COE says that if a waterway is or has ever been used as a commercial thoroughfare then it is navigable. Simple enough. NC came along later and stated that if you can float it in any watercraft, then it is navigable "in fact". That standard itself was founded to address issues in coastal waterways, but it caused a plethora of other issues in mountain streams. For example, when does NC's navigability laws stop in the mountains? If I am in a kayak and suddenly start dragging bottom and have to get out and walk it over a shallow riffle, did the navigability of that stretch of stream suddenly stop? Per NC laws, yes. So does that open up the opportunity for individual stretches of the same river to be deemed as navigable and non-navigable? Conversely, if on a very small stream that is sandwiched on private land, I can find a hole big enough to place a inner-tube, can I camp out there with no repercussions from the landowner? Per NC law, yes. In legal sense, NC really muddied the waters for us boys out west, luckily I can say that the NCWRC enforces it with some common sense measures.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
This all depends on if the water is deemed navigable or not. If the water is deemed navigable, then the waterway is held in public trust and the private ownership stops at the riverbank. If it isn't, then private ownership extends to the center-line. Most mountain streams are enforced as non-navigable which is why the NCWRC has worked tirelessly with landowners to allow fishing to the public.

NC politics really screwed up the navigable laws when they decided to form their own standard versus simply applying the Army COE standards like most other states. The Army COE says that if a waterway is or has ever been used as a commercial thoroughfare then it is navigable. Simple enough. NC came along later and stated that if you can float it in any watercraft, then it is navigable "in fact". That standard itself was founded to address issues in coastal waterways, but it caused a plethora of other issues in mountain streams. For example, when does NC's navigability laws stop in the mountains? If I am in a kayak and suddenly start dragging bottom and have to get out and walk it over a shallow riffle, did the navigability of that stretch of stream suddenly stop? Per NC laws, yes. So does that open up the opportunity for individual stretches of the same river to be deemed as navigable and non-navigable? Conversely, if on a very small stream that is sandwiched on private land, I can find a hole big enough to place a inner-tube, can I camp out there with no repercussions from the landowner? Per NC law, yes. In legal sense, NC really muddied the waters for us boys out west, luckily I can say that the NCWRC enforces it with some common sense measures.

Yeah. I’ve called the GW over these issues, I’ve got a couple rivers that you can float but may drag bottom in some places and he said he wouldn’t make a big deal out of it if someone called on me for pulling a boat across a shallow spot.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah. I’ve called the GW over these issues, I’ve got a couple rivers that you can float but may drag bottom in some places and he said he wouldn’t make a big deal out of it if someone called on me for pulling a boat across a shallow spot.

Exactly, but the problem still exists in what that river is classified as because then it rolls over into a landowner rights issue. I know how the NCWRC will enforce it and I don't envy them because they were never given a clear answer for us mountain boys. They might not get on to us for dragging a kayak across a shallow shoal but a landowner might see that as non-navigable which would in theory, give him ownership to the middle of the waterway or the entire waterway if he owns both sides. Like I said, NC really screwed this up. They should have just stuck with the Army COE standards.

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
The Army COE says that if a waterway is or has ever been used as a commercial thoroughfare then it is navigable.

How does that apply to most of NC's trout streams?

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns

It doesn't because NC decided to set it's own standard in 1995 in a case over a marshland and tidal creek dispute. I'm certain they didn't think of the repercussions it would have on mountain streams.

Reactions: CRC

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
The NC DOJ has admitted that under the current law, it doesn't know at which point navigability ends and landowner rights begin (especially as it pertains to WNC):

"It is not possible to say with confidence how far up a watercourse public rights may extend. At some point, navigability "in the usual and ordinary course" ceases, and public trust rights give way to those of private property. As the Supreme Court noted in State v. Baum, "[w]e are not prepared to say that a land owner would be liable to criminal prosecution because he happened to put a watergate across a creek up which otherwise an idle hunter might be able to pole a canoe. . ." 128 N.C. at 604."

Last edited:
Reactions: CRC

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer

If they stayed with army COE every or nearly every trout stream would be considered navigable water since they floated logs down basically every waterway in WNC at some point and time

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
If they stayed with army COE every or nearly every trout stream would be considered navigable water since they floated logs down basically every waterway in WNC at some point and time

That’s a topic that’s been brought up in other states and if I remember correctly, that’s not the case as the waterway had to exist in its natural state. Considering most local streams had to have dams built in the headwaters to create a reservoir which was later released to generate enough flow to move logs, that wouldn’t apply except on a select few locally.

If I can find the old court opinions on that, I’ll post them.

Last edited:

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I love this game. Got a neighbor that’s “letting” me put my driveway on his property. I tried to have the conversation with him that there’s an unopened state ROW all the way across the back of our properties, to the street that our properties come out on. GIS shows it stopping at my property line and his property nosing in on what would be the remainder of the “nonexistent” ROW...
“GIS is right and yours and your dad’s deeds are wrong”

“ha OK”
Poor fool doesn’t realize I’ve got a copy of his deed and the deeds prior to that, of his land, and can actually read them 😂. I’ve got too many battles to fight right now with my house being built, but I assure you, one day, my bottled up “not today” will come out and make this fool look like an idiot.

Yep, our lease is very similar. There's about 10ac that the neighbor swears is his, "My daddy showed me these when I was 10 yrs old".. But 3 surveys our LO had done, shows that it's actually his.Also on the North end of the property, GIS shows the property line on the neighbors bank, instead of middle of the creek as per the deed/plat map.

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Ive seen that situation before, yes the online resources or apps are not always correct

In that situation I’d probably try it if it wasn’t posted but if it is move on