Post rut bait for big bucks??

Kane_b

Six Pointer
How do you go about this? Just got into a position where i could bait. I dont want to rely on it but i figured i could make it a tool now that i have the option. Can you kill big bucks over it? What about right now during the rut? I thought about sprinkling it near trees by bedding that have a few acorns left on the ground. Any input appreciated

Good question. I would suggest sprinkling some like you said, and not scout around at all at this point. I had a nice 8 cruising in the windy woods yesterday and haven't put out corn since youth day. I believe once you start adding a lot of bait/feeders, the deer will become nocturnal.

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
Try to visit your bait site during mid day when it's less likely that deer will be feeding, wear rubber boots to minimize your scent, put out corn or whatever you plan to use and pour some vanilla extract on a limb to attract them.
Try not to hunt that spot more than once every 5 days and ONLY with a good wind.
Pressure will play a big part in whether or not a mature buck will visit your spot during daylight.

Dan Apple

Old Mossy Horns
Where do the deer want to be right now?

Now, Why do they want to be there?

How did they get there?

Where are they going next?

Why?

Answer those questions and then you can strategically add a bait pile to take advantage of whats already happening, at the very least keep the does close.... which even post rut keeps the bucks around.. they'll check them, but presence of deer means a calmer deer.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
How do you go about this? Just got into a position where i could bait. I dont want to rely on it but i figured i could make it a tool now that i have the option. Can you kill big bucks over it? What about right now during the rut? I thought about sprinkling it near trees by bedding that have a few acorns left on the ground. Any input appreciated
We would be SOL in this state if big deer were not killed over corn, Just ask any taxidermist.

you'll do way better if you put out corn where deer walk versus putting it out where they have to "walk to" the bait. imo.

Kane_b

Six Pointer
Where do the deer want to be right now?

Now, Why do they want to be there?

How did they get there?

Where are they going next?

Why?

Answer those questions and then you can strategically add a bait pile to take advantage of whats already happening, at the very least keep the does close.... which even post rut keeps the bucks around.. they'll check them, but presence of deer means a calmer deer.
Thats what i tried to focus on this morning. I think i got a plan that may work. One ill try later and one while the rut is on

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
A lot depends on location and what you want to shoot. You put corn out under some white oaks the deer will find it over night because they are probably already feeding in the area. Depending on the hunting pressure in the area will determine how long it takes them to feel safe coming to eat during daylight. Around here a new corn pile will not be visited during the day for over a week or more and then deer will circle downwind before coming in. But all deer are different from different places,a trail camera will tell you what needs to be done. If you have room set up well down wind of the corn that's what the older bucks will be doing to check for does and may never come within sight of the corn. I keep some corn out year round and start feeding heavy as they eat more. April thru june 50 lbs a week just so they are used to it being there and then I give them as much as they want through hunting season on till warm weather. Was feeding 200 lbs a week until acorns dropped and the corn just sprouts you know to back off late September into October. Now they starting to want more that the acorns are rotting. More natural to spread it out,1000 square feet for every 50 lbs but that's just me,ten does aren't going to be happy that close together all the time

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Oh yeah to answer your question specifically, does are going to be the number one best bait for bucks most any period of the rut. The younger bucks may get run off by the larger does post rut but the big ones will seek does long after deer season is over

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
If you don't see them where you put it out but they come in at night try to hunt trails leading that way they should be easy find now with leaves trampled down. may depend on pressure deer have had on them to

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Thought about a bait pile near doe bedding and setting up with the right wind to catch a buck cruising upwind of the does feeding
Corn near bedding area will be some of the best evening hunting you can get. Just not to close because it will push them to bed elsewhere

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
On the bedding areas preferred exit path. I’ve had best luck placing a little less out, sporadically, alternating between two stands on the same travel path, one closer to the bedding area one closer to the destination food source, which I’ll hunt depends on weather and moon. Use cob corn if possible. A friend likes to use shelled corn and takes a plastic cup and slings it around a little in more open lower spots, says it slows the deer down.

Deerhuntr

Ten Pointer
To kill mature deer now hunt tight to thick cover and some bucks are probably starting to hit scrapes pretty good again.

ermiller1016

Four Pointer
Contributor
Best bait for Bucks are Doe’s in estrous! As it gets colder, anything high in protein will attract late season bucks. Does anyone have a gage in terms of when the 2nd round of Doe’s (younger/first year) will
Come into estrous? Typically 28 days after the first round. In the Central, I’m thinking it might heat up again over next week or so. If the rut is still on out west, Bucks will be unpredictable.

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
Late season bucks that have been chasing tail are hungry and tired. They will be close to cover, food and water.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Can’t speak for western nc but here the bucks and does have started bunching up. Saw 2 good bucks running together Saturday. Been seeing group of does with 8 to 10 behind house all week. The bucks will still take the opportunity on a hot doe most anytime but the big ones are a lot more cautious this time of year. Most of the bigger deer I see killed this time of year till end of season are killed by the clubs using dogs. They usually around big thickets with water close. Either beaver pond or big swamp

ermiller1016

Four Pointer
Contributor
First time I’ve seen this guy out before sunset since 11/18.

Attachments

• 7A1F3552-1277-4FB5-85C7-0516EDA0D72D.jpeg
    7A1F3552-1277-4FB5-85C7-0516EDA0D72D.jpeg
    172.9 KB · Views: 93

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
I couldn’t even tell you the last time I put out bait or used lure scents. It’s a different way to say the same thing many others are saying without dignifying the intent to add bait to, add excess human scent and disturbance to places where deer are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk