Post Hunt Shotgun Rust Prevention

kingsize

Four Pointer
This season I’ll frequently be waterfowl hunting before work and storing my shotgun in my truck while at work. I have an 11-87 that hasn’t been cerakoted or dipped to prevent rust. I’ve seen the effects of leaving it in the soft case post hunt and it gets a light rust on it.

I plan to wipe it down with rem oil post hunt then store it uncased below the back seat with a trigger lock. Any other tips y’all can offer?

Thank you

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
For me my duck gun is a tool so I don’t baby it. I pull it out of the case a spray it down with tri lube until I can really clean it. I really soak it down to displace any moisture.

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Not to hijack the thread but a little more viscous oil would probably serve you better. Had a rust problem on my shotty until i switched oils from rem oil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Another thing I thought of for non coated guns would be to take a page from the woodworkers. I use T9 boeshield on my table saw to keep it from rusting. It leaves a thin film once it’s dry.

kingsize

Four Pointer
Thanks for the tips, keep em coming!

I really don’t baby this gun, just trying to keep it working properly. It’s always getting dipped into water on chest deep water retrieves since I don’t have a dog yet, or water is dripping on it when paddling the kayak

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Ballistol, before and after the hunt. Also let the shotgun spend as little time as possible zipped up in a soft case.

<>< Fish

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
If you go over to ShotgunWorld.com, there is a fairly extensive test on metal with just about every oil, lubricant, spray that is made in one of the threads. They also used salt water.
I don’t recall all the results but I do recall Hornady One Shot scored well. That is what I use.
I also use Ballistol quite a bit. Never any issues with either; but I also don’t duck hunt any longer so been a long time since I got a gun that wet.

Edit to add the link: https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=398836

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
First off, if your gun has wood furniture, keep liquids from seeping into the stock and/or forend by either removing them or leaving the gun stored barrel down. Give special attention to the receiver parts (action spring assembly & link) located at the back of the receiver where in protrudes into the stock. This can turn into a rusty mess if neglected long-term.

When my guns get wet, I field strip them and spray them down liberally with either WD-40 or Hillco Lube to displace the moisture. After I get them cleaned, I lube them with an appropriate product (viscosity based on the temperature likely to be encountered) and then I put a thin coat of EEZOX on all the metal. While I don't care for EEZOX as a lubricant (it gets sticky), as a metal preservative I have found nothing better that can be applied so easily.

Last edited:

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
Carry a can of Rem oil. Wipe it down after the hunt and spray it down with the rem oil.

Castle Oak 2

Six Pointer
Listen to FishnHunt: Do not put your gun back in the case after hunting or if you do, do it only temporarily. There is always residual moisture clinging to the metal regardless of whether or not it's raining. I use silicone sleeves instead of a case and then put my guns in the house under near a heating vent or under the ceiling fan for 24 hours. I leave it uncased until the night before I am going hunting again.

Kane_b

Six Pointer
The problem with using rem oil is by nature it actually dries up it does not linger like it should. I would get some pro shot G96 oil and what i do after duck hunts is spray the gun with it in chamber and outside then when i get time wipe it with a silicone cloth. This worked countless times after hunting in the rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Combat Diver

Eight Pointer
Used to swim in salt water with my M4. Would have a coat of CLP on the gun, rinse with fresh water as soon as possible after exiting the ocean and then recoat with CLP.

CD

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I had an 870 that would rust at the drop of a hat. Until I quit using rem oil...

I ain't seen a speck of rust on that gun in better than 10 years.

kingsize

Four Pointer
Thanks for all the advice, I picked up some ballistol and will be doing some combination of the suggestions