Portsmouth Island

Bass-n-Deer-416

Four Pointer
My brother and I are headed to Portsmouth in a couple weeks to get away from all the craziness and to try and do some surf fishing. Between the 2 of us we’ve surf fished maybe a dozen times. Looking for some advice and any pointers any of y’all can give. Thanks in advance.

nc35hunter

Four Pointer
Make sure your vehicle is in tip top shape - not a good place to break down. Be ready to deal with lots of bugs. Portsmouth is one of my favorite places on earth but it is unforgiving. If you catch the fish in a good mood it can be outstanding though.

billyearl

Six Pointer
Contributor
My brother and I are headed to Portsmouth in a couple weeks to get away from all the craziness and to try and do some surf fishing. Between the 2 of us we’ve surf fished maybe a dozen times. Looking for some advice and any pointers any of y’all can give. Thanks in advance.
Keep food, fish and bait containers secured, The darn place is full of masked bandits. Use tie-down straps, or chains if necessary on your coolers. Just clasping them shut will prove to be inadequate ... Bill

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
One of the prettiest places on earth to me. I consider myself very lucky to be from the area. As everyone has mentioned, be prepared for bugs. Fishing wise, their should be plenty of drum, trout, bluefish and sea mullet to be had. Fresh mullet and shrimp will be your best bets for bait. I'd keep a plugging rod nearby to throw into breaking fish. The hurricane last year cut the island to the north, so you will be limited as to how far you can travel that way. Good luck👍👍👍

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
Yep, one special and amazing place. Has anyone heard if the Park Service has plans to repair / rebuild the cabins?
Last I heard, yes. The plan is to move them to a location with more protection from over wash. It's now a funding issue.

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
make sure you fill up your vehicle with gas and water , there is none on the island right now, fishing should be pretty good,you can go on the back side with a throw net and wade should be plenty of mullet back there.good luck and stay safe.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
da43b06e87c0f723523341c6a0d12509.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk