Portable sawmills

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Have at least one helper. I have had lumber cut on my place a number of time and always worked the green end myself. Can't do that these days but somebody had better be ready to roll if you plan on getting much done.

I just bought my own from Woodland Mills. I spent months researching many different brands and models. I chose their HM126 model. It was very simple to assemble and works exceptionally well. Its exceptionly well built and arived 2 weeks early even during the pandemic. I have about 150 logs on my place to mill up and if I like milling and decide to transition to it full time for a living, I will move to a Timber King hydraulic mill. They were my second choice but had to settle based on available funding.

What are you looking to do?

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
What are you looking to do?

I’m clearing a pad for a shop and there are about 10 large pines that have to go. Maybe 700 board feet in each?
Figured I’d cut and stack the lumber for another future project instead of pushing it into a burn pile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deerhuntr

Ten Pointer
Check out woodmizer mills. Have a good friend that’s got one that will cut up to a 32 in diameter and it’s been a good one. Buy some extra blades also whatever you decide.

Check out woodmizer mills. Have a good friend that’s got one that will cut up to a 32 in diameter and it’s been a good one. Buy some extra blades also whatever you decide.
I actually hired a woodmizer mill (Lt40) initially. The cantilevered head did not cut square and all of my boards are trapezoid shaped when viewed from the end. That turned me off to Woodmizer.

I’m clearing a pad for a shop and there are about 10 large pines that have to go. Maybe 700 board feet in each?
Figured I’d cut and stack the lumber for another future project instead of pushing it into a burn pile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure where you are located but around here sawyers charge about $100 per hour or $1000 per day. 700 board feet could probably be done in a days time.

Deerhuntr

Ten Pointer
I actually hired a woodmizer mill (Lt40) initially. The cantilevered head did not cut square and all of my boards are trapezoid shaped when viewed from the end. That turned me off to Woodmizer.
Never had anything like that with his. Probably like everything else these days quality wise.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It wasn't the mill. The operator didn't know how to set it up in the first place or he had hit something and the blade was dull on one side causing it to lead off. I have had several people cut with them and they turned out as nice of boards as you could ask for. Either way it was on the operator not realizing there was an issue.

witler

Eight Pointer
There is a guy in Kingsport, TN. That does videos on YouTube, Out of the Woods Sawmill. He has a Woodmizer that seems to work nice, has hydraulics so he operates it by himself.

Vannoyboy

Eight Pointer
Been living in a log house for 30 years milled with a Woodmizer. Also hired a man to rip some heart pine logs down to 3/4 inch for floor and had very little waste. The thin blade width saved me at least 1 board per log compared to a conventional sawmill. I built a kiln with thick black poly and a stove pipe stack.