Poachin cases update

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
IN NC, when someone pleads not guilty, it is not unusual for a jury trial to be 1- 1/2 to 2 years away; even with NO defense delays. Everyone should attend series of court sessions, just to see how backed up they are. I have personally seen, 20 -30 cases get continued , where the defendant's attorney answered that they were ready for trial. After this, maybe 2-3 cases were heard the rest of the day. We have a right to a speedy trial, but no one has ever ruled just how long "speedy" is. I have even witnessed an attorney make a motion for a "speedy trial" in open court, after his client had been waiting for almost 2 years. The way the system is set up, it is much faster and simpler to book someone, than it is to seat a jury and try them. If cases weren't dropped, combined, and/or pled out; the backlog would double every couple of years, and a lot of defendants, officers, and witnesses would die before ever going to trial .

Reactions: dpc

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Just got word that the guys with multiple cases, over 20 of them, in Person Co. were continued again till the last of October but were told to be ready then. I certainly hope the "fine grind" is realized as it has certainly been a slow process.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Today is the day for the Person Co. cases. Hope to have a report later tonight or tomorrow.

Also, for you guys in Granville, I see where there are about 30 cases for 5 defendants in Granville coming up the 31st of this month for taking deer at night, etc. Hope the activity wasn't in your neck of the woods.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The guy in Guilford County will probably get to bag a couple more deer before he ever settles up.

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Our court system should not be played like a game period. Justice should be swift. This crap of waiting to get the right judge on the right day with the arresting officer being off that day is bullcrap. He was charged with a crime is he guilty that today is not for me to decide. Is he out breaking the law it's possible. Here's a thought don't break the law and you don't have to worry about it simple.

It IS a game to the attorneys. I have a buddy that is a personal injury/ambulance chaser. My son was in a wreck, so we had extensive conversation about the system. My son was rear ended, so he wanted to pursue the case. He wasn't injured, so I didn't want to sue. He went on and on about how he could get us X number of dollars. He normally only wants cases where people are hurt and do need assistance. I explained to him that I thought it was abuse of the system to sue when he wasn't hurt. He explained that is "how the system works." And I replied, that is why car insurance is so damned expensive...

I'm telling you, lawyers are the biggest crooks on the planet.

Hunters don’t want a bad name from a few poachers but it is ok to give attorneys a bad name bc of a few like your buddy? Who doesn’t love a good blanket statement when it isn’t about them [emoji57]

Who here has read “The Lottery”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I just got some what appears to be final information on these cases. This did not come from the court records but I have no reason to doubt that it is accurate.

The Guilford Co. case appears to have been resolved with the defendant being found guilty and ordered to pay over $600 in replacement costs and a fine of $500. He also lost his hunting privileges for 2 years.

The cases in Person Co. resulted in one defendant receiving 14 days active jail time, a $1000 fine, loss of hunting license for 3 years and placed on probation for 1 year. The other defendant received 28 days active jail time, a $1000 fine, loss of hunting license for 5 years and placed on probation for 1 year.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I just got some what appears to be final information on these cases. This did not come from the court records but I have no reason to doubt that it is accurate.

The Guilford Co. case appears to have been resolved with the defendant being found guilty and ordered to pay over $600 in replacement costs and a fine of $500. He also lost his hunting privileges for 2 years.

The cases in Person Co. resulted in one defendant receiving 14 days active jail time, a $1000 fine, loss of hunting license for 3 years and placed on probation for 1 year. The other defendant received 28 days active jail time, a $1000 fine, loss of hunting license for 5 years and placed on probation for 1 year.
Good to know, although the punishment seems a bit mediocre for the offenses.

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Piss poor ruling. I'm sure it's by the book but seems way to lite to me. That jail time has probably been considered time served when they were arrested. The wardens always go for that two year thing in exchange for guns and bows to be given back. I dont see no license stopping a poacher. What a joke.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
No time served. They were never in jail prior to trial. And the wardens are a lot of times at the mercy of the prosecutor.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Well the second case got more than I figured for here. This ain't Texas I never expected more. Like most I don't believe any of them won't hunt for years I'm sure they'll be sneaking around next fall. I bet they had some decent lawyer bills

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
Glad to see they got some kind of punishment , as to being enough or not don't think so but i'm not the judge

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Piss poor ruling. I'm sure it's by the book but seems way to lite to me. That jail time has probably been considered time served when they were arrested. The wardens always go for that two year thing in exchange for guns and bows to be given back. I dont see no license stopping a poacher. What a joke.

They are on the radar now and will be noticed easily. I don't see it as a joke, I see it as the system working as it just does. You are as innocent as you can afford to be. Apparently, they couldn't afford complete exoneration, so this is the next best thing we could hope for. At least they are held somewhat accountable. And, will be scrutinized going forward.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Were they found guilty of felonies or misdemeanors? That makes all the difference in the world.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
What Tipmose said that felony conviction can cause them trouble for long time. They may have to do their poaching with bow or bkackpowder

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
No time served. They were never in jail prior to trial. And the wardens are a lot of times at the mercy of the prosecutor.
In your first post you cited 14/28 days "active jail time", but here you said "no time served". I don't understand, can you explain? What does "active jail time" mean if it doesn't mean locked up? I've seen many cases with time "suspended", meaning he doesn't do the time now, but if he screws up again then it becomes active time.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
^That comment was in reference to the post by ncscrubmaster previously in which he stated that the active jail sentence given would probably be done away with as "time served". In this case the defendants were not jailed at the time of the violations. Someone who is jailed upon arrest can be credited with the time he has been locked up prior to trial and disposition against whatever active sentence they receive. In these cases both men were given active jail time as a part of their sentence, whether it is to be consecutive days or sometimes we see weekend sentences for the total time but had no pre-trial time which could negate those days.