Poachin cases update

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
CRC those replacement cost are a joke to. Put a whitetail buck up around a couple thousand dollars or 30 days in jail if you can't pay. Put a stop to that crap.
The replacement costs are "up to the discretion of the judge" I had that explained to me by a very irate judge years ago right after they were put in place. Shortly afterward he also said it was HIS courtroom and he decided what happened there. And quite frankly you don't get judges that are real sensitive to wildlife cases so they are seldom imposed.

Reactions: CRC

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Sounds like NCHF may need to get pro-active in a non-associated manner and find out who the wildlife friendly judges are and aren't. I know the officers in Person and Granville and can ask their unofficial opinion....... and think I will. It's a starting point anyway........ aren't those judges elected?

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Thanks nccatfisher. It seems like to me that wildlife causes are not treated with the same seriousness as other crimes.

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Sounds like NCHF may need to get pro-active in a non-associated manner and find out who the wildlife friendly judges are and aren't. I know the officers in Person and Granville and can ask their unofficial opinion....... and think I will. It's a starting point anyway........ aren't those judges elected?
Maybe our voice will be recognized. I'm all in, we can be strong in numbers.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thanks nccatfisher. It seems like to me that wildlife causes are not treated with the same seriousness as other crimes.
Usually in NC they aren't. Funny, even in adjoining states they get pretty serious about it. If you see the yearly sale Tn. has of confiscated items you would know they take it very seriously. But you won't see that here.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Hell if I broke the law today my broke but would be in jail the day before. Not sure what the outcome will be but I’m sure will neither be just nor effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
We should start a petition to stop this nonsense and get them prosecuted...

I disagree. I believe they should be able to use any legal means just like you or I would use if accused. There is no place for public opinion to pressure the legal system.

I don’t want to be judged using social measures if my case is in the legal system. There are plenty of examples of guilty until proven innocent and the damage caused after exoneration (think justified police shootings).

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I can't swear to it but I believe he was charged in November of 2017 for violations that occurred in October. His next court date will be approximately 10 months from his charges being filed. Maybe he has a legitimate reason for having his case continued. If so, no problem. If not it just reflects another problem with our judicial system.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I agree with LTS.

Its been nearly a year. Contulinuances for any case whatsoever should not last a year. If you dont have enough for a conviction after a year, you didnt have enough for an arrest/ charge

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

PG2

Ten Pointer
We should start a petition to stop this nonsense and get them prosecuted...

I disagree. I believe they should be able to use any legal means just like you or I would use if accused. There is no place for public opinion to pressure the legal system.

I don’t want to be judged using social measures if my case is in the legal system. There are plenty of examples of guilty until proven innocent and the damage caused after exoneration (think justified police shootings).

You couldn’t be more wrong here.. if I was accused and I am innocent I want the trail right away... on the other hand if I am guilty I would play the same game he is until they just drop the case...

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Our court system should not be played like a game period. Justice should be swift. This crap of waiting to get the right judge on the right day with the arresting officer being off that day is bullcrap. He was charged with a crime is he guilty that today is not for me to decide. Is he out breaking the law it's possible. Here's a thought don't break the law and you don't have to worry about it simple.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I have asked for a continuance. It was because the key witness in my case could NOT make the first date. The judge granted the continuance. The witness WAS THERE on the second court date! Case got dismissed.

I have also been in court, as a witness, when the officer was not in the court room. The entire case got dropped and the defendant walked scott free! (yay! My buddy!!!!)

It seems like a game to me, who has played it. There SHOULD be a limit imho. There is no way imho the defendant needs 3 continuations. No was a Prosecutor needs 3 either!

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
You couldn’t be more wrong here.

That, of course, is your opinion just as I have mine. You will have a difficult time convincing me otherwise with a one line statement.

If you take my example of the justified police shooting. The dead bad-guy's friends lobby, demonstrate, sign a petition, etc that the police were not justified in using that level of force. Local public opinion is not in their favor and could sway the court's decision. You would be advised by your attorney to let the waters calm before heading to trial.

You have the right to a speedy trial but that does not mean all cases need to be heard within a certain time frame. It only means the prosecution cannot hold you an extended amount of time before you go before a judge.

I guess you've never heard, "the wheels of justice turn slowly, but grind exceedingly fine."

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Just an update for those who are still following this case. The Guilford Co. case for Charles Thousands was continued again, this time till Nov. 13. It has been over a year since the charge and another hunting season has begun. I have commended the officer for his willingness to continue with the case. Hopefully the DA will eventually get the case heard.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Based on his apparent level of greed, he will end up poaching again this season. Maybe he will get dusted by a wary landowner seeing someone creep around at night. Or run head first into big mama sow with a cub. That negative exposure in the press is the stuff antis use to make blanket statements about ALL of us

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Does he still get to hunt since he has not been found guilty. If so that's pure BS.

Yes. You know, innocent until proven guilty. Regardless of what we think, or think we know. That's the way it works. Sometimes it's unfortunate how the system works, but still the best in the world.

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Oh I agree it's the best we got. I'm sure we might not know all the facts. It just stinks for it to possibly continue. That's a long time to drag it out.

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
A big part of the problem with our system is that it allows continuation after continuation....seemingly until everyone loses interest. That needs to be fixed.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Innocent until proven guilty is fine. Indefinite continuances are not. And the "social pressure" mentioned in this thread was not to sway the court one way or the other, but rather to spur the court to enforce the law as they are required to do. Not to decide the trial, just to hold the trial.

If the right to a speedy trial is guaranteed, then a right for the victims - in this case the citizens of NC - to timely justice ought to also be guaranteed. That would reduce time and costs tremendously.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Our court system should not be played like a game period. Justice should be swift. This crap of waiting to get the right judge on the right day with the arresting officer being off that day is bullcrap. He was charged with a crime is he guilty that today is not for me to decide. Is he out breaking the law it's possible. Here's a thought don't break the law and you don't have to worry about it simple.

It IS a game to the attorneys. I have a buddy that is a personal injury/ambulance chaser. My son was in a wreck, so we had extensive conversation about the system. My son was rear ended, so he wanted to pursue the case. He wasn't injured, so I didn't want to sue. He went on and on about how he could get us X number of dollars. He normally only wants cases where people are hurt and do need assistance. I explained to him that I thought it was abuse of the system to sue when he wasn't hurt. He explained that is "how the system works." And I replied, that is why car insurance is so damned expensive...

I'm telling you, lawyers are the biggest crooks on the planet.