Poachers burn down hunting cabin in Missouri

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
It was on Rinellas pod cast.
Seems like they have a, or had a cabin in a rough part of the state. The locals seem like a real handful of out laws.
The pod cast made me think of some scum like “the ozarks” on Netflix.

Pretty sad. But.. I don’t live there or understand the culture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
You know i kinda got that feeling when we went in December. Most places we went we didn't really feel welcome. We talked with a government employee that worked at the public land. He acted like we were bothering him. Certainly not a warm welcome.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
What side gives the person the right to trespass and burn down someone’s property?

not saying anything. just asked a question.

I like to hear all sides before I jump on bandwagons.

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Missourians are clannish as all get out....
Seemed like it. Very different world out there. The one place where we went that was different was a little breakfast place. It was about 15 ft by 15 ft at best. Several old farmers in there. They were pretty nice by the second day. Very few LEO out there.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Years ago, I found Missouri folks were the same to me. Maybe not the 2nd day but by the 4th day I was OK with them.
Even after that they were still tighter to their locals.
Years later some of the old guys hanging around the gunshop still know me [hillbilly] when I stop by on my way to somewhere else.
There are some thick places out there and I can see where some locals might burn a cabin without remorse.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Really wanna get into that mistrust head up into SW Va., southern west Va. And east Ky area
It’s a whole nother kind of mistrust up there.

If you grow up in the area then leave and then move back, they don’t trust you.
If you go to college and then come back, they don’t trust you.
If you’re an “outsider”, they don’t trust you.

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Really wanna get into that mistrust head up into SW Va., southern west Va. And east Ky area
My neighbor has 50 acres in Virginia that he said we can turkey hunt. He has already warned us not to expect a warm welcome. He said those people up there are tight and do not like outsiders. He says there are plenty of turkeys so we have to go.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
My neighbor has 50 acres in Virginia that he said we can turkey hunt. He has already warned us not to expect a warm welcome. He said those people up there are tight and do not like outsiders. He says there are plenty of turkeys so we have to go.
They might warm up to you after several years depending on How you talk of course.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They might warm up to you after several years depending on How you talk of course.
I’ve been visiting up there with the wife’s family for years, some folks come around after awhile, some folks don’t.

One thing I can tell you for sure, them hillbillies take their huntin SERIOUSLY. They have their own “etiquette” rules, if you do something they don’t agree with, they will let you know about it!
My BIL let a coyote go because he wasn’t in his comfortable range. He told some of the guys in the club about it and they blessed him out. They told him that he wasn’t welcome in the club the next year.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Similar things happen, maybe not quite that extreme, all over when property changes hands. How many posts have we seen on here where folks either buy or otherwise obtain rights to use property and have problems with some of the locals? It is not just restricted to rural environments either. Some can be even more extreme like gang turf wars.

Anyone other than me think this was a very written article? To me, it was refreshing to see the story told in a way that captured the essence of the landowners loss., Very well written article IMO!

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Its not just in areas you would consider mountain, backwoods or hillbilly.

Im as "country" as they come, and the very first local I ever met on a Kansas backroad let me dern well know that I was not welcome in Kansas.

We've had several instances of locals trying to run us off WIHA areas, told us we better not get caught shooting their turkeys.

Of course @turkeyfoot went in there and called 'em right on in for his BIL 😂😂

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
It was on Rinellas pod cast.
Seems like they have a, or had a cabin in a rough part of the state. The locals seem like a real handful of out laws.
The pod cast made me think of some scum like “the ozarks” on Netflix.

Pretty sad. But.. I don’t live there or understand the culture.

go get yourself a lease that has been "community property" for awhile. Chatham moore montgomerey.
See how that plays out.
ps dont build a cabin. :)

my point is you arent too far from folks that see land as a community resource.
Winter's Bone stuff from missouri is alive and well right here. their culture isnt hard to understand.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
There is plenty of people here in NC that would do the same...........

Yep. About 20 years ago we had two old tobacco barns in Granville burned by the local doggers who got tired of getting cited and their dogs taken to the pound. We got an investigation into arson started. Then a few of the troublemakers up and died of old age and various other bad life choices. Things got much better after that.

SnowMaker

Ten Pointer
Lol anyone ever hear of "Clawson Holler"? Well if you do don't go up it. Just a TN example but these hills are still hiding some places people don't want you to go.

Ho ace

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Yep. About 20 years ago we had two old tobacco barns in Granville burned by the local doggers who got tired of getting cited and their dogs taken to the pound. We got an investigation into arson started. Then a few of the troublemakers up and died of old age and various other bad life choices. Things got much better after that.

Might have been the same group that I no doubt believe burned down a vacant tenant house at our home place.

A friend of mine found his hunting camp burned to the ground years ago near in Harnett county. Lost a bunch of stuff along with all the work he did to build it.

We found barbed wire at head height across a four wheeler path a couple of years ago after we took over a property and had trouble with the guy who had used it like his own for years... crazy individual!

Last edited:

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'd be sick. With that amount of time, money, and memories invested. And he's now got a property he can never feel safe on.

I hope I never experience that.