Plumbers in my area?

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Most recent chapter of my life has been QUITE interesting.

Now that the restoration company (and myself) have removed sheetrock possibly containing mold, about 70% of my 40 year old copper piping is exposed. I can expose the rest by the destruction of 2 of my 3 showers walls. This would make 100% of all copper water lines in my house easy to get to.

We found another spot non flood related that has a hole so small it drips one drop about twice a day.

So, do I ?;

A. Rip every bit of wall out making it easier for a plumber to remove 100% of copper, replace with PEX (remodel 2 showers are approaching 40 years old anyways)?

B. Save $Thousdans by just replacing the exposed copper to PEX but risk future problems with copper pipes not yet exposed.

FYI my insurance coveres damages due to plumbing issues, but NOT plumbing repairs, so all of this will be out of pocket.

I'm going to get at least 3 quotes for whichever I decide (leaning hard towards option A) if anyone has someone in Raleigh they recommend.

Thanks!

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
all plumbing. You will benefit from warranty work if needed. But it is easy to spend someone elses money.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns

Now that the restoration company (and myself) have removed sheetrock possibly containing mold, about 70% of my 40 year old copper piping is exposed. I can expose the rest by the destruction of 2 of my 3 showers walls. This would make 100% of all copper water lines in my house easy to get to.

We found another spot non flood related that has a hole so small it drips one drop about twice a day.

So, do I ?;

A. Rip every bit of wall out making it easier for a plumber to remove 100% of copper, replace with PEX (remodel 2 showers are approaching 40 years old anyways)?

B. Save $Thousdans by just replacing the exposed copper to PEX but risk future problems with copper pipes not yet exposed.

FYI my insurance coveres damages due to plumbing issues, but NOT plumbing repairs, so all of this will be out of pocket.

I'm going to get at least 3 quotes for whichever I decide (leaning hard towards option A) if anyone has someone in Raleigh they recommend.

Thanks!

1. Put the word out you have copper you need removed. Crack heads will show up to remove it for you.
2. If plumbing is exposed, can you do the replacement? Part of it?
3. As said by Dick..easy spending your money...I would do the rest, especially if you plan on remaining there.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
All I know is that a couple of months back I decided it would be a good idea to redo our shower, replacing the fiberglass, I guess, surround and go all tile. Got one quote for $5K and said what we have is good enough. My eyes are bad anyway so I can't really see if it is dingy or not. Good luck with you project guy. I'm sure you will decide what is best for you.

DC-DXT

Twelve Pointer

So, do I ?;

Thanks!
What do you mean “possibly containing mold”

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
We repiped a house today cost was $175.00 @ fixture replaced all water supply, stops, supply lines and installed new mixing valves on tub and shower units valves supplied by HO. Whole house cut off was additional $175.00 Hope this helps

NC 270

Eight Pointer
I usually get $150 per fixture to repipe. Alot of times the old copper can stay where it's at and the new pex rerouted.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I REALLY like the idea of making new holea.for the PEX to be installed to minimize how long the homes water will be completely shut off!

Existing copper is all half.inch. what happens if I have 3/4 inch plex installed? Or is that asking for trouble?

My incoming line from the street is coming up through the slab so I don't know where the best place would.be toth transition into PEX.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
pex is fairly easy to work with. you could do it yourself fairly easy. make all your runs before you ever take any copper out, then cut water off and change over to new fixtures. i think a home owner can still pull a permit and get inspections on their own house in NC.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
And here i was thinking copper was the gold standard....
Not in my neighborhood (eastern Wake.)

I think that everything has a set of drawbacks or places where water doesn't agree with what's being used. I also think that some of the myth of copper came from plumbers that were resentful of PEX threatening an income stream. Sweating copper pipes is a lot harder and more time consuming than joining pex.

ibgreen

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My old house in eastern Wake had pex water lines but they used the brass Zurn fittings. After 10 years I would notice the fittings looked like a battery cable end on a old neglected truck. My water was robbing the zink from the brass (so they say) and making the fittings extremely brittle. I had a plumber switch all the fittings out to the non-brass plastic type and solved that problem. I guess the new owners are having to replace appliances and water heaters instead of me now.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
My old house in eastern Wake had pex water lines but they used the brass Zurn fittings. After 10 years I would notice the fittings looked like a battery cable end on a old neglected truck. My water was robbing the zink from the brass (so they say) and making the fittings extremely brittle. I had a plumber switch all the fittings out to the non-brass plastic type and solved that problem. I guess the new owners are having to replace appliances and water heaters instead of me now.
i have/had the same issue on the house we moved into. 1/2 the fittings were like you said. ive replaced all the leaking ones and have been replacing the others here and there. lucky for me its all in a walk in crawlspace.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
All I can say at this point is to CHECK EVERY PEX CONNECTION! Most crimps I have seen leaked unless a 90° extra crimp was done. If single crimped, I would definitely do a check or two to make sure it sealed correctly.

ibgreen

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
i have/had the same issue on the house we moved into. 1/2 the fittings were like you said. ive replaced all the leaking ones and have been replacing the others here and there. lucky for me its all in a walk in crawlspace.
My water was so bad that i had the bottom of my washer drum was eaten away causing my agitator to spin with the tub of clothes stationary. My favorite shirt would stretch across a 12' room after that.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Yep, I bought the $100 crimping tool for mine. Family member/friend is a plumber. He said, after he fixed a leaking fitting under the house the week after we bought it, "Buy the crimper. It will pay for itself." 5 years later he's right. Oddly enough, the polybutylene has held up the best of any of it.

Ultimately I'm looking at redoing all the supply lines in CPVC. It gets brittle when pressurized but, it's under the house so nothing should be touching it ever. Pro tip, exposed CPVC supplying your washing machine is a bad, bad idea. Learned that one the day I moved in.