Plumber/Hot Water Heater?

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm mid-40s and considering it.
I am 51 with 28 years with AT&T.....seems the chopping block comes around each year for some of us.....I had already talked to Alamance Community College about HVAC school......my sons and I were thinking that may be something we could all get into.......fortunately I am still employed......but a trade was my first thought.

If you are 40....go for it! I think you can make a great living at any trade right now.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
Last night I was "woke" by my daughter at 1230 am who said she just heard a big bang. I asked her if it was inside or outside as I was trying to wake up and get my bearings. She said it sounded like it was in the attic. She had just got off of work and was showering and returned to the bathroom and said there was water leaking through the vent. in the ceiling. I ran down into the garage and shut off the main water feed and went into the attic to find the water heater broke out the bottom. Luckily most of the water went out the drain in the pan as is intended. My motorcycle ride scheduled for today turned into and water heater repair/replace. I thought for a minute about upgrading to an on demand unit but then figured the easiest thing to do would be to replace, so I did. About 500 for the unit and 3 hours of work including picking it up. I was also lucky in that I had a friend who had one go out on him last year. It had caused major damage to his house and I helped him replace his so being he was going on the ride with me, it was convenient to get help from him. We carried the old one down and out but used an electric winch to hoist the new one up. 4 hours total including grilling up and eating 2 bison burgers (1 each) and some beans. Still early enough to do a buzz around Union county on the skooter!

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I have replaced both hot water heaters in this house since we bought it 6 years ago,,,,they were old,,,,first one I hired a guy to help, as we needed to "rework" the plumbing and I wanted a guy who knew more than I did,,

being a good learner, I did the second myself,,,but we don't have none of that high speed stuff (venting, etc),,,,,,,