Please stop the whining! ?

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
I've been thinking of only hunting deer this fall during archery season only, since archery equipment is what I'll be using and I think I'd feel safer after some of the stories I've heard about people getting shot by idiots who didn't ID their target before shooting during the gun seasons. Glad I haven't been misinformed or misled by these hunting shows on TV. I've never even seen them. Get all my info about how to hunt from good books and from this forum. Feel very blessed in that regard.
Hunting accidents are very rare. They can happen, and do, on a yearly basis. That being said, I have hunted public land in multiple states both in the east and out west and never had a bad experience. Someone walking by me while hunting is not a big deal, nor is it a deal breaker. I have never once been shot at or feared for my life on public land. I have had a couple bad incidents on private land. It's really not that hard to get away from people. Keep your expectations realistic. If you can hunt during the week, you will have much less competition, even during rifle season. Archery only spots will be your friend as well. I hunted 3 different pieces of public land this past season ( one permit only, other two open to general public). I saw zero people while in the woods. In fact, only once was there even another vehicle parked at the gate when I got there.

DarrinG

Six Pointer
I agree there are decent deer numbers on "most" game lands / FS lands. Here in the mountains it can be hit-miss. I've wore out several good pairs of boots walking the mountains, scouting and hunting. Its terrain and food/cover. Some parcels are thin pickens and it don't take long to see the numbers are not there, then 15 minutes away down the road another tract will have sign to indicate the numbers are there. Most folks are not willing to walk further than around 200-400 yards from their vehicle, believe it or not. If you're willing to hike in any noticeable distance, you can usually see deer during daylight in areas with decent numbers.

GL / FS lands has its own personality also. Ive hunted public lands for 30 years and rarely have any trouble. But it can and does happen I suppose. I had one guy try to run me off a section of FS land by intimidation, firing a pistol and such stupidiness after I walked off, to keep the section for his own personal hunting land. It could have gotten real ugly quickly if I had not been level-headed about it. Most folks are friendly, and a short chat with them, asking what direction they are headed and going the opposite way leads to friendly meetings and even new friends occasionally. Just realize others may be around, usually not too far from where they park, and they will pressure the deer out of easy access areas during daylight. Scout areas and set stands accordingly....and the deer will be around.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
USFS land in the mountains has also gotten a reputation (deserved or not) for having much lower deer numbers compared to other USFS land in the state (Croatan, Uwharrie)

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
USFS land in the mountains has also gotten a reputation (deserved or not) for having much lower deer numbers compared to other USFS land in the state (Croatan, Uwharrie)
The densities are definitely less in the mountains on FS land, no argument. However, there are still plenty of deer to be had, just might have to work a little harder.