Played today...

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Decided to change it up this year. Heard lots of good stuff about Blackhorn 209, and was sick and tired of 777 crud rings...

Figured out over the years that my Omega likes it hot, but with a new powder I started in the middling range and worked my way up. Every bump in powder had a corresponding drop in group size;)

All the way to max at 120gr, and the groups hadn't got below 2" at 100yds. Not good enough...Hmmm...

250gr bullets weren't cutting it, so I dropped to 200gr Shockwaves. The second shot of the group made me smile, and I bumped the scope 6 clicks up. 3rd shot was 1.5" high at 100.

Set a target at 200, and cracked 5 shots off the top of the truck...20181006_212434.jpg

I believe she'll do...one of these days I'll get to a real bench and see what it's got left lol

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Very interesting, I've never tried 200 grain bullets. That's impressive for top of the truck shooting.

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
Nice! I've been thinking about switching to Blackhorn, just ran out of load development time this season. Is it really cleaner?

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Nice! I've been thinking about switching to Blackhorn, just ran out of load development time this season. Is it really cleaner?
I didn't run the first patch down the barrel while I was shooting. And the last sabot loaded just like the first.

However, it does seem to take a few more patches than T7 at the end of the day.

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
I didn't run the first patch down the barrel while I was shooting. And the last sabot loaded just like the first.

However, it does seem to take a few more patches than T7 at the end of the day.
That's the kind of consistency I'm looking for.

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
Well, it's no 10-ML but I reckon it'll do!
A couple of my friends shoot TC Omegas and love them. But I don't think they've ever even attempted to shoot out to 200 yards with them....not even at paper. But after I show them a picture of your group, I bet they will. One shot or even two could be a fluke. But the 5-shot group is proof enough for me. That's a 200+ yard hunting muzzleloader! If you're like me, you prefer ML shots under 100 yards....but it's sure nice to know you can stretch it out if you need to!

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Just remember that you use a solvent to clean your barrel after shooting Blackhorn 209 instead of soap and water.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
The bulk of my mzl hunting is an hr before work in the morning, and however many minutes of legal I can squeeze in the evenings, propped on a round bale. Not being able to shoot longer ranges is a luxury I don't have.

I need to sit down and do some figuring to see just how far I can stretch it;)

Richard

Button Buck
Once you have gotten a taste of smoke less and sabot less muzzle loading, I doubt many would go back to a smoker? When your done at the range, just put the gun in the safe the way you left it and your ready for the next range our hunting trip. Just the same as a CF rifle. With good custom bullets, five shot groups under 2" are very doable if you are a decent shooter and have a good gun and scope. I get disappointed now when my five shot 100 yard groups are over .600" CTC. And this with 275 and 300 gr. bullets in the 2950 to 3050 fps range.
Then again, if you hunting range is under 100 yards most any side hammer smoker will do.

Attachments

• Sept. 25, 2018+ (1) (Small).jpg
    Sept. 25, 2018+ (1) (Small).jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Sept. 25, 2018+ (2) (Small).jpg
    Sept. 25, 2018+ (2) (Small).jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 36