Planting chestnuts for deer

I acquired some land in Duplin County last year. It is mixed woods and ag. I have taken some of the ag land and planted various trees, aimed at attracting wildlife. So far I have 10 sawtooth oaks, 4 pears, 4 apples and 2 persimmons. I am considering adding a few hybrid chestnuts. Has anyone planted chestnuts in this area and if so how did they do?

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
I acquired some land in Duplin County last year. It is mixed woods and ag. I have taken some of the ag land and planted various trees, aimed at attracting wildlife. So far I have 10 sawtooth oaks, 4 pears, 4 apples and 2 persimmons. I am considering adding a few hybrid chestnuts. Has anyone planted chestnuts in this area and if so how did they do?
I have planted a few, but am still waiting for them to bear. Full sun is the key to a quick crop. Right now, I am gathering them from a neighbor's yard, as well as white oak acorns from his downspouts. I can tell you from experience, that deer and bear will sort through the acorns (and corn) and get the chestnuts first.

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
I have planted a few, but am still waiting for them to bear. Full sun is the key to a quick crop. Right now, I am gathering them from a neighbor's yard, as well as white oak acorns from his downspouts. I can tell you from experience, that deer and bear will sort through the acorns (and corn) and get the chestnuts first.
That's a fact. I have over 300 sawtooth oaks around 20/25 years old that produce heavy every year. All game will walk past those to get to the five chestnut trees . Wish I had planted about 50 of them as they don't produce nearly as much as the oaks .

2nd Calling

Six Pointer
I've found success planting chestnuts or oaks in 5 foot tree tubes, most emerge the first year and get above the browse line. Did this after a select clear cut and they're doing well keeping ahead of the other regrowth.
Just do some inner tube maintenance to remove side branching until they make it to the top of the tube.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
That's a fact. I have over 300 sawtooth oaks around 20/25 years old that produce heavy every year. All game will walk past those to get to the five chestnut trees . Wish I had planted about 50 of them as they don't produce nearly as much as the oaks .
Them big sawtooths look awesome on your land tho!

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
I've found success planting chestnuts or oaks in 5 foot tree tubes, most emerge the first year and get above the browse line. Did this after a select clear cut and they're doing well keeping ahead of the other regrowth.
Just do some inner tube maintenance to remove side branching until they make it to the top of the tube.
This is also key . Just remember to pull the rebar supports for the tubes before the tree roots grow around them.