Plant ID

cmcarter

Six Pointer
I know there are some plant experts here! What is this plant? It’s in 30 year thinned pines that had a control burn through them about 3 years ago.
It has blueberry looking fruit - Huckleberry?
Location is central part of the state just west of Raleigh.

Attachments

• 482B3136-D0F7-4778-B462-3594DFAB86C9.jpeg
    482B3136-D0F7-4778-B462-3594DFAB86C9.jpeg
    216.4 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

cmcarter

Six Pointer
That’s what I was guessing - I’m going to keep an eye on it, wondering how much deer eat the berries. This pine stand is THICK with it.

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
That’s what I was guessing - I’m going to keep an eye on it, wondering how much deer eat the berries. This pine stand is THICK with it.
I have several bushes in the hardwoods behind the house . They bloom ,set fruit but get gone as soon as they ripen . I don't know if it is chipmunk, tree rats or deer getting them but something sure does. Same with blackberries , where there is a lot of deer it is hard to find enough ripe ones to make a good pie. Deer will get then as soon as they ripen.

Deep River

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I have several bushes in the hardwoods behind the house . They bloom ,set fruit but get gone as soon as they ripen . I don't know if it is chipmunk, tree rats or deer getting them but something sure does. Same with blackberries , where there is a lot of deer it is hard to find enough ripe ones to make a good pie. Deer will get then as soon as they ripen.
Picked enough brambles for four pies on the farm this weekend.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns

Mmmmmmm..... fresh blackberry marinated deer steak/burger/cubed steak/italian sausage/breakfast sausage/pulled deer meat/jerky/Ossobucco/ribs !

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I know there are some plant experts here! What is this plant? It’s in 30 year thinned pines that had a control burn through them about 3 years ago.
It has blueberry looking fruit - Huckleberry?
Location is central part of the state just west of Raleigh.
They all over in the Sandhills and the deer will rub them and eat them .

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
vowels are important here. An “i” where the “a” is and you’ve got a whole new ballgame
When we were little, mom had picked a buncha wild blackberries to go with our dinner. Dad used to be VERY stoic and overly serious and strict back then. He sees mom bringing them to the table, but couldn’t see inside the bowl, and says “whatcha got there?”. My little brother, who had heard the word but didn’t know what it actually meant said “I think it’s a bowl of dingleberries.” Dad went ALL.TO.HELL. Mom said “no honey, they’re blackberries. Dad doesn’t need to get all upset that you used the wrong name.” Dad said “The wrong name? THE WRONG NAME??? Do you even know what the hell a dingleberry is? It’s a little chunk of s hitty toilet paper that sticks to the hair of your ass after you wipe. Why in the hell do I have to hear about that while I’m trying to enjoy my food after a long day at work?”. That made me spit my drink out all over the dinner rolls. He was pissed. Dinner was very silent. Then when he was ready for some blackberries he said “pass me those stupid F’n things.”