Plant ID?

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Came across this on the Sandhills Game Land late this afternoon. At first I thought it was pokeweed, but then I realized it doesn't look like any pokeweed I've ever seen. What is this? I saw this one growing along one of the sandy roads on the game land and I saw another one further into the game land near a hedge.

Attachments

• plant_ID2.jpg
    plant_ID2.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 47
  • plant_ID1.jpg
    plant_ID1.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 46
  • plantID3.jpg
    plantID3.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 46
Reactions: jug

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Purple beauty berry.
All kinds of plants grow on the Sandhills gameland

KrisB

Ten Pointer
All kinds of plants grow on the Sandhills gameland
Yes, and I still don't have a clue what most of them are! :LOL: I'm slowly learning with my Peterson field guide and online research about plants that are native to the Sandhills.

todobien

Eight Pointer
I have some young cardinals that have been eating at the one I can see from the desk. I think some of the berries are at the stage where they are beginning to ferment because the birds start acting funny.

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
I'd love to try it, but the Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center's website (https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=caam2) says it is an important food source for a lot of birds, including the northern bobwhite quail. The bobwhites need all the food and habitat they can get around here.
I have several in the yard (planted) , and have transplanted several to my hunting grounds. Very easy to grow from seed (berries ) . Yard birds feed on them late into the winter . Also said to be a natural bug, skitter repellent . Just rub the green leaves all over you. In the northern piedmont and foothills I have only seen one growing wild that was by a old wagon road in Wilkes co.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
I have several in the yard (planted) , and have transplanted several to my hunting grounds. Very easy to grow from seed (berries ) . Yard birds feed on them late into the winter . Also said to be a natural bug, skitter repellent . Just rub the green leaves all over you. In the northern piedmont and foothills I have only seen one growing wild that was by a old wagon road in Wilkes co.
Wow! Thank you for the great info! I will have to plant one in a big pot on our porch.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
It grows everywhere here. Never knew what it was called until this thread, then today I see NC Sea Grant post a video about it.