Plans for a fishing boondoggle

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
So here is my plan, last year i was prepped to go on 2 fishing trips - Covid = cancelled, this year would have liked to join up with the crew for the get together - Covid = cancelled

Here is my plan, and currently its about as well thought out as if it was written on a grease stained napkin

Going backwards from what i intend on doing
Annual Get together on Saturday and Sunday morning
Fishing with a crew on the Friday out of Oregon Inlet
Bottom fishing somewhere Thursday
Offshore fishing somewhere Wednesday

Last year i had a trip booked out of Okra (forget the name but something like that just a longer name lol) so want to review options and looking for advice and if it comes together people who may want to join in. Obviously cost is always a factor and filling a cooler is always a good thing.
I dont know if i will be alone or can find some other Northerner to join me, lots of people wanting to go but when the time comes closer $$ seems to be an issue
Looking forward to suggestions/advice/people who may want to join in
Cheers

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I'm good for a spot if I'm available. just let me know when. no clue on charters.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
Sent a couple of emails about this morning to charters, some names i have seen before, figure easier to try and get a boat for 2 days

HarryNC

Eight Pointer
My arm could be twisted to fish out of Ocracoke for a couple of days, then head up to Oregon Inlet for the Friday trip before the GTG. Just need to do some advance planning.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
Fair warning to anyone if this boondoggle comes together, there's a good chance you will catch a Canadian accent before the trip is over eh'

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Might be feasible for me since we’d have a year to plan. But I also gotta factor in the Python Challenge if that comes to fruition. I’d love to throw in on a charter with ya if I can pull it off tho

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Aw bummer. Most likely a no go for you?

no - guess I wasn't CLEAR,,,

YOU were the doubter,,, saying things like

gotta factor in the Python Challenge if that comes to fruition.

there is no IF,,, there is DO or DON'T DO,,, no IF.,

and therefore since you are a DOUBTER I may have to find a replacement for YOU,,,,

youngin's ,,,,, can't keep up with my ramblings,,,, sheesh,,,

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
no - guess I wasn't CLEAR,,,

YOU were the doubter,,, saying things like

there is no IF,,, there is DO or DON'T DO,,, no IF.,

and therefore since you are a DOUBTER I may have to find a replacement for YOU,,,,

youngin's ,,,,, can't keep up with my ramblings,,,, sheesh,,,
And to think I read your reply in the stock market post and said “man, I hope we have him around another 50 years to keep us on our toes.” Just kiddin, your reply here just reinforces that sentiment.

I’m with ya now. Didnt help that you wrote “doubter” and I read it as “doubt it.”

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
In talks with the boat out of Ocracoke - might just do the booking early to at least hold the spot, want to do a few checks first, likely camp out somewhere close if i read the web site correctly
If the Get together is June 24th weekend, will likely book this boat for June 21 and 22
And @Mike Noles aka conman Chrissy says hi
I kind of like the idea of trolling the morning and bottom fish to close out the day
You can go to the gulfstream and troll for mahi, tuna and wahoo and you can also go bottom fishing at the wrecks after trolling for the bigger fish. Or you can do one day in the gulfstream and the next day bottom fishing.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I'm definitely game if you'll have me. Probably just one day but could possibly do both. let me know what ya need.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
What i will do is talk a bit more with the charter, but will likely book it and drop a deposit this week, latest next week.
I figure ferry over on the Monday, fish Tuesday and Wednesday
Have a Cheesehead wanting to come, and my son wants to come but depending on his status with a potential new job is a maybe - but also understands what a good boondoggle will do for the soul

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
Eau Claire i believe, i know his property where i hunted a couple of years ago is in Holcombe county butting up to Buffalo Co

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
In talks with the boat out of Ocracoke - might just do the booking early to at least hold the spot, want to do a few checks first, likely camp out somewhere close if i read the web site correctly
If the Get together is June 24th weekend, will likely book this boat for June 21 and 22
And @Mike Noles aka conman Chrissy says hi
I kind of like the idea of trolling the morning and bottom fish to close out the day

Cap’B is a good boat. Both captains and the mate are local fishermen that bust their asses to get you on fish. I fish with them a lot.

Here’s a few photos of the last two trips.

2DB6F352-1E80-4F38-B9CC-2175F0ECB386.jpegB7DD8D74-7CF5-4004-BC52-37225A86E506.jpegB3FC146C-6A54-48BA-A886-91D5EFD25E01.jpeg

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Eau Claire i believe, i know his property where i hunted a couple of years ago is in Holcombe county butting up to Buffalo Co

ok, good,,, not one of them folks from down south (south of Hwy 29),,,,,,,,, :cool: :taz:

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
Ok the boat is booked!
June 21st and June 22nd
June 21st boat
1. Dobber
2. Dobber Jr - tentative
3. Scott - Holcombkid
4. Woodmoose
5. HarryNC
6. Dick
Fill in pending cancelations -

June 22nd boat
1. Dobber
2. Dobber jr - tentative
3. Scott - Holcombkid
4. Woodmoose
5. HarryNC
6. Dick

You can go to the gulfstream and troll for mahi, tuna and wahoo and you can also go bottom fishing at the wrecks after trolling for the bigger fish. Or you can do one day in the gulfstream and the next day bottom fishing.

So right now i am liking the idea of going out the Gulf in the morning and doing some bottom fishing on the way home vs all day doing one

Currently cost of fishing is $1500 a day plus tip for the mate - expect the standard norm 20% for budgetary purposes

Again looking at likely tenting it at a campsite, arrive the 20th and leave the 23rd

Last edited: