Plans for 2020?

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
We have a hunt for Rios planned in South texas mid March.. followed by plans to hunt TN opener last weekend of March.

Thereafter probably just NC, VA and hopefully WV.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Going to Michigan for sure. Hope to hit Maine, New Hampshire and/or Vermont, whatever our schedule allows.
Definitely heading east of Raleigh somewheres to kill some eastern NC birds.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
if the stars align,,,,next year is the year,,,,

turkeylabeled.jpg

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
I thought AZ had them but they were few and far between. It'd be worth applying for and just find a way to make it happen if you're drawn.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I thought AZ had them but they were few and far between. It'd be worth applying for and just find a way to make it happen if you're drawn.

AZ does have them,,,had one 15 ft from me when I was down there bowhunting Coues deer,,,,quite the large bird!

been trying to draw a tag,,,,but I'll probably draw a sheep tag before I ever get a Gould's tag,,,popular item,,,

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I'm happy if I get enough time off work to fill both tags around here. Sure would love to hunt Texas for a Rio and hunt a Merriams anywhere they exist. My brother in law and his wife are buying a place in northern Wyoming I'll be able to hunt. I look forward to getting the opportunity.

Jim

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
Going to try WV. Maybe Ohio,Va. Got friends who live there AMD they got the birds,just have to have the time and funds.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
My brother in law and his wife are buying a place in northern Wyoming I'll be able to hunt. I look forward to getting the opportunity.

Wyoming is coming up quickly on my list...also recently scored a contact in Montana. Looks like it will probably be 2021 but Im already excited to go !!

Hookspur

Button Buck
Everything hinges on that dad-gummed AZ Gould's tag. Maybe my 14 bonus points going into the drawing will help me get a tag, but I doubt it. I'm beginning to think their stinkin' lottery might be rigged; it's most-certainly set up for non-residents to seldom (if ever) draw a tag, and it's also designed so AZ makes a lot of money, since we have to buy an expensive hunting license just for the "privilege" of applying.

Only after I receive word from them on my 2020 "failure" to draw a tag will I finalize the rest of the spring itinerary, but there are a couple of givens. Hawaii is definitely where I'll be starting the season on March 1st. I've been there twice before, and really enjoy everything about that place. I'm pumped up about going back!!

Then, I'll be heading to FL for about 3 weeks of guiding other hunters on private land, while struggling to kill birds myself on public. We always do real well on the private, so if anyone's interested in a hunt, send me a pm.

Like I said, only time will tell what other states make the list, but it will probably be another spring of hunting about 10 states. Right now I just hope to live long enough to see another glorious sunrise, and listen to the birds ripping it up!

Last edited:

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I don't even fool with Az tag attempt I save that to put toward the day I go get me one in Mexico and if blessed with heath still it'll be in bout 4 to 5 years when I get kid done with college then it'll be wide open with bucket list turkey hunts

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I've got a hankering for sumpin new...
try a gobbler (not a jake or hen) in va this fall.
before they let the dogs start running.
on the ground hunting specifically for a gobbler.
I guarantee you wont strain yourself carrying them out of the woods. :)

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
try a gobbler (not a jake or hen) in va this fall.
before they let the dogs start running.
on the ground hunting specifically for a gobbler.
I guarantee you wont strain yourself carrying them out of the woods. :)
I have very little interest in killing a perfectly good gobbler in the fall;)

KrisB

Ten Pointer
If I'm still in NC (the job hunt has heated up recently and I've applied to jobs all over the place), I'll be looking for my first turkey somewhere in NC. :)

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Will have to see where we’re living. We might be back in WV by next turkey season. I’m kinda hoping we’re not. So far since moving to NC, I’ve had to be gone through all of turkey season every year and have yet to kill a gobbler in this state.

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
One of these days I hope to hunt outside of the 10 N.C. counties I've turkey hunted in so far. That's my busiest time of year for work. Not only would I be missing out on making money, I'd be spending it at the same time. Not a good mix. * heavy sigh *
Maybe I need to raise me a crop of dental floss as a side hustle.

Jim