Planning a Camping Trip

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Hey, all,

I'm planning a camping trip sometime this month for a few days to do some hunting and trapping in Uwharrie National Forest. I haven't camped since I was in the Girl Scouts, so I'm a pretty beginner camper. I already got some good advice from one forum member, but I wanted to ask others: Do you have any tips for how to make a first camping trip a good experience? Anything in particular I should bring?

I've got a dome tent, a sleeping bag, headlamp, firelighter, plenty of clothes to layer up in, and some thick blankets. Also have a cooler. Planning to get a hatchet before I go for firewood. I can bring a bucket or just use a creek to wash stuff in. I'm planning to camp at a designated camping area, which has basic amenities available (water, toilets, etc). I thought that'd be good as a beginner and then go for the primitive camping once I have some experience. I'll get a small, really basic grill for those trips.

What are y'all's thoughts?

Last edited:

Lee

Six Pointer
You're off to a good start. Getting a good night's sleep makes the trip better no matter what the weather or anything else throws at you. A sleeping bag and blankets may keep half of you warm, but even more important is the insulation beneath you. I recommend whatever system is available to insulate the cold from the ground and pad the rocks and roots.

My favorite trick is eating right before going to bed for the night. It fuels the body's heating system.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Unlike backpacking, car-camping is nice because you can take a number of "extras" or contingency items without penalty. Make sure you have what you need to sleep well and eat well as the trip has the potential to be a total failure if those two elements aren't satisfied.

If you are sleeping on the ground, don't underestimate the potential of the ground to suck the warmth right out the rest of your sleeping system. Same goes for using a cot; insulate your bottom-side from the air circulating under the cot.

Have some contingency for getting out of the rain besides your tent and take some good camp chairs ..... you should be GTG. Don't forget good fire starting supplies and don't rely on there being any forest wood available for fires if it's heavily used area.

I like a hand saw better than an ax but that may just be me. The folders take up less space. Make sure you have several ways to start fire. I bring a lighter matches and a magnesium. I have cotton balls coated in Vaseline they catch real good. Dry wood and tinder are also key. Have plenty of water. A filtration straw is a good idea also if you plan on going off the beaten path. Lightweight food products that dont require refrigeration. I like cup of soup and beef jerky. Finally toilet paper never go camping without toilet paper.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I'll second the hand saw cheap one will get you started keep eye on weather if wet before you go so will wood be. cold nights suck without fire

SKnox

Six Pointer
Don't depend on finding wood and if you do its probably going to be damp I learned along time ago take wood with you. Get some match lite charcoal to start your fire (works great) just trying to make it easy if wood is damp. And be ready to walk farther than the last 8 campers at the campsite to find wood. a lantern is handy item even if its battery power.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
  • a ground pad - a sleeping bag needs some insulation from the ground this time of year
  • flashlight or latern,,, extra batteries
  • don't worry on handgun - your shotgun is fine and you'll be ok
  • bring a battery radio - it get's dark early, and a little music is nice in the evening
  • some hot cocoa
  • some sort of stove (single burner or dual) - don't count on cooking on a fire and cold meals for days on end gets old (trust me on that one - went 30 days once with no warm meals - sucks)

LIZZRD

Eight Pointer
invest in a good sleep pad,
that with a good sleeping bag should be able to get by in case fire does not work out .
different rope/cordage
knife with sheath
compass / map ? if your traveling far
don't pass up any dead cedar wood
I roll up some clothes and use for a pillow
also a water filter/purifier in the future, sure beats carrying water
I was more of a backpacker so you learn to get by with less since you have to carry in and out.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The biggest thing I see that you missed is a sleeping pad, either foam, or inflatable with an R rating of at least 3 for cold weather. It is just as important for keeping you warm as a sleeping bag. NO! Do NOT use a regular inflatable mattress during cold months. They have no insulation and will actually make you colder.

You would also probably be better off bringing a bow saw than a hatchet, although both would be ideal.

For primitive camping, use a small, single burner stove rather than a grill. Either that, or cook over campfire coals and bring a small grill grate.

visit www.bushcraftusa.com if you want some other good ideas.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've found that I sleep warmer in my undies. It sounds crazy, but if you're wearing tight fitting clothing, your body may only heat the space between your skin and the clothing.

If your sleeping bag has a couple different layers, getting down to your undies and stuffing your clothes between those layers, helps with insulation and keeps your clothes warm for when you wake up.

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
-sleeping pad is absolute necessity in winter. I’ve used everything from yoga mats to insulated inflatables.
-a metal container to heat water in
-a small stove (MSR Pocket Rocket/similar) is easier than a fire or a grill. Depends what you plan to eat though
-bring a headlamp....or two
-a Nalegene/similar poured full of boiling water right before bed and placed in your bag is awesome
-some sort of chair is nice to have
-lastly but most importantly, bring bourbon 🤣😉

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
When i am car camping in cold weather, my Mr. buddy heater comes with me. Wake up, crank that bad boy up while still down in your bag and let it warm the tent for 10-15 min!! Makes getting out of that warm bag a little easier!!

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Awesome input from everyone. Not a single thing anyone mentioned is something I’d leave out. If you’ve got a sling for your gun, there’s not a thing wrong with keeping it on you when you’re working around your camp. Being dry, well fed, and very warm will make for a great experience.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Kris I thought you were moving to the west not sure how far though

Nope. I was up in Person County for a year; now back in Moore County down south.

Edit: I think that must have been from my post after the VA Trapping Convention. I was just saying it'd be nice to live in the mountains; whether or not it actually happens remains to be seen. I'm applying for librarian jobs around the state.

Last edited:
-sleeping pad is absolute necessity in winter. I’ve used everything from yoga mats to insulated inflatables.
-a metal container to heat water in
-a small stove (MSR Pocket Rocket/similar) is easier than a fire or a grill. Depends what you plan to eat though
-bring a headlamp....or two
-a Nalegene/similar poured full of boiling water right before bed and placed in your bag is awesome
-some sort of chair is nice to have
-lastly but most importantly, bring bourbon 🤣😉
I do carry a flask of my favorite likker! No better way to fall asleep looking up at stars sitting by a campfire.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
one thing i pack on some trips, where i can't carry too much, and dont need much hot water, except for a coffee/tea or to eat instant oatmeal (which you dont need a bowl for, rip the top off and pour water into the bag - won't leak) is a sterno stove like the one below - or similar style- cheap and easy
Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 6.45.20 PM.png

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Take plenty of food and snacks,being outdoors makes me eat more than being at home. Save your best,dry wood on a pile next to the camp fire for first thing in the morning. That's when you will want a quick hot fire to help you get out of the sleeping bag. Cover the wood with something to keep the dew off of it overnight