Planer board set up question.

How far back are you running your bait on your planer board set ups? Do you use your trolling motor or big motor when your running boards and at what speed?

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Im looking for some good boards for catfish myself. Hard to find them to pull big bait and weight.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
From my experience with Walleye fishing, a Trolling motor works best.

I found it really hard to get below 2.5 mph without using a trolling motor, but your individual boat setup will dictate that.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
From my experience with Walleye fishing, a Trolling motor works best.

I found it really hard to get below 2.5 mph without using a trolling motor, but your individual boat setup will dictate that.
Drift sock will help if you want to use a big motor farther you let it out the more it pulls.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
3 oz weight and fish head or small blue gill or perch.
Yellow bird would work, either of the two large sizes...also look at some of the upgraded connection hardware, most guys that use boards for walleyes regularly seem to do that, so do the guides I’ve fished with in Green Bay or Minnesota.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Yellow bird would work, either of the two large sizes...also look at some of the upgraded connection hardware, most guys that use boards for walleyes regularly seem to do that, so do the guides I’ve fished with in Green Bay or Minnesota.
Thanks for the info.
One of the company's is coming out or has already done one that has foam enclosed or something like that so you dont need to replace the foam or have it fall out everytime.
I used offshore in the past and they foam would crack or fall out.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks for the info.
One of the company's is coming out or has already done one that has foam enclosed or something like that so you dont need to replace the foam or have it fall out everytime.
I used offshore in the past and they foam would crack or fall out.
If your handy you can make them out of wood...Grandad’s neighbor was a retired high school shop teacher and he made them.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
If your handy you can make them out of wood...Grandad’s neighbor was a retired high school shop teacher and he made them.
That was why I was holding off.. was thinking about building some like we used on Lake Erie and lake Michigan.