Pistol/colt question

duckmauler

Eight Pointer
Recently ran across an older gentleman that had an extremely old pistol, a colt 45 he was wanting some information/value on. Any of you guys want to give it a go - I told him I'd do a little research on. I took some pics of the gun and would send to help.

Thank you

duckmauler

Eight Pointer
Pics attached

Attachments

• IMG_7692.JPG
    IMG_7692.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_7693.JPG
    IMG_7693.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_7695.JPG
    IMG_7695.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_7695.JPG
    IMG_7695.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 56

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Love those old SAA Colts.... hard to say without putting my hands on it and looking for a few things that aren’t shown or can’t be shown in pics. I’ve collected em for years and values are all over the place and very subjective.
First thing is has it been lettered? If no it doesn’t hurt the value but the letter gives you specific specs on it to look for. I’m pretty sure that barrel has been shortened or is not the origional, also there is substantial finish loss, those grips are correct for a 1st gen SAA but I can’t be certain they’re correct for that piece. Those are the early production grips so to be right the gun needs to predate 1901.

Values, I can’t even begin to guess without knowing the mfg date and giving that barrel a serious look over. But even a rough 1st gen will bring $1000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duckmauler

Eight Pointer
Only thing the fella told me was it had been his dads, and it was purchased over 70 years ago in Texarkana (sp?) Arkansas. Said he'd been offered $2200 but had no clue as to it's value. Thanks guys

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
It says at the top of your list, "Model 1849 Pocket Revolver". The pistol you have (Single Action Army) hadn't been invented yet.

Colt used that serial number on 10 different models between 1864 and 1950. Your pistol was mfg in 1904.

Last edited:

NC 270

Eight Pointer
The guy that offered $2200 must have really wanted it. I would have valued the gun at $1750, the lack of original finish, the rust and pitting really drag the price of SAA's down.