pistol cartridge lever actions

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I've been wanting a 44 mag in a lever action. Not opposed to some other straight wall cartridge, but there are several manufacturers. I'm sure everyone loves the one they currently own, so tell me why you do. Tell me which one you DIDNT LIkE and WHY?

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have absolutely no use for Henry. When I was a dealer I sold several, their .22's either shot great or terrible, no middle of the road. If you sent one back more times than not it would come back doing exactly what it was doing when you sent it back. They were notorious for not feeding shorts even though they were supposed to.

I bought a .44 and it was a POS. I ordered one for a friend and it was OK. It appears their centerfire were much like their rimfire, hit or miss.

Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I got rid of a Rossi .357 simply because it had feeding issues with lead reloads and that's mainly the reason I bought it.
As long as you shot jacketed bullets it did great, but stick a wad cutter or round nose lead bullet in there and it wanted to shave the lead and jam. I never tried to repair it by working on the feed issues, just traded it to someone who planned to use only factory copper jacketed stuff.

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My Henry H006 will touch holes at 100 yds using the 225 gr LeverEvolutions!!

Smoothest action of any lever gun I ever tried..........besides, it makes me look cool!!:cool:

07819.JPG

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
BTW..since you're in a place that has bear or larger game...look at the .444. You can load it down if needed to .44 specs, or bump it up to max for the larger animals.
It's a great cartridge and almost mirrors 30-06 ballistics at 200 yards.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
The bears are smaller than down there, other than that, only a few moose up north which I can't hunt and a few elk in the NW (same thing) and wolves. Really have no desire to use it on anything but deer, and that's a stretch given half the state is shotgun only. Might use it on bear if I draw a tag and decide to bait.

Besides, already have a 44 in a ruger carbine so I like the idea of having to only have one set or dies and brass etc.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I have absolutely no use for Henry. When I was a dealer I sold several, their .22's either shot great or terrible, no middle of the road. If you sent one back more times than not it would come back doing exactly what it was doing when you sent it back. They were notorious for not feeding shorts even though they were supposed to.

I bought a .44 and it was a POS. I ordered one for a friend and it was OK. It appears their centerfire were much like their rimfire, hit or miss.

My experience as well henry i bought new had the fit and finish on the internal resembling the workmanship of an angry beaver with a wood chipper. Like both my marlins and winchesters though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My experience as well henry i bought new had the fit and finish on the internal resembling the workmanship of an angry beaver with a wood chipper. Like both my marlins and winchesters though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well damn, I was thinking about getting a Henry in 357 mag.......

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have 2 lever guns in .44 Mag, both Winchester. One is a mid 70's model 94, the other a Winchester 94 Trapper. Both are great little guns, the 70's model is a top eject, which I don't care for. The Trapper is a sweet little gun that shoots great. I handload for both, and both shoot the same load well. The Trapper will shoot Hornady 240gr XTP factory loads well too.

My father has an 1894 Marlin that is capable of a single bullet hole group at 100 yards. I don't have a lot of personal experience with the gun myself, a little range time, but I'd buy one without hesitation.

Southside

Ten Pointer
Don't currently own a lever action in pistol cartridge but a marlin lever in 44 mag is on my wish list.
Not to stray from the topic but I have seen 44 mag ammo ran through a rem 410 pump shotgun. Ive always been told they were compatible but only recently seen it. He didn't shoot it only cycled them. I don't suppose the accuracy would be any good with the smooth bore barrel?

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Don't currently own a lever action in pistol cartridge but a marlin lever in 44 mag is on my wish list.
Not to stray from the topic but I have seen 44 mag ammo ran through a rem 410 pump shotgun. Ive always been told they were compatible but only recently seen it. He didn't shoot it only cycled them. I don't suppose the accuracy would be any good with the smooth bore barrel?

Not something I would try... regardless of accuracy

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Do any of them have angle ejections? As bad as it sounds, I'd like to have a low powered or even fixed powered scope on it.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'd have to sell a kidney to get a Winchester, though that is my front runner
They are a good solid second as far as shooting/accuracy. LOL They also just about the right length for walking sticks if they don't jam up in the mud real deep. No seriously depending on which one you get they are pretty nice, but you do realize that was when Winchesters QC was kinda in the tank. I have never seen one of the Marlin's that wouldn't shoot just about anything you stuck in them. Short barreled version or long. But they are proud of 'em.

Last edited:

tarheelshooter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Got a Ruger 96/44 that I am thinking of letting go. Has a 2-7x32 Nikon Monarch scope and several extra mags. Let me know if interested. On my way to Pennsylvania so can't post it up for about two weeks.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I like the Marlins too

This is coming from a Winchester owner, if I ever bought another lever .44, it would be a Marlin. My Dad's will shoot circles around my Winchesters. His isn't picky either, the Winchesters are pretty picky. My Trapper will shoot ONE factory ammo worth a durn. My oldie but goodie won't shoot any of them worth a plug nickel, and I've tried A LOT over the years.

His Marlin seems to lock up tighter too. My old 94 has been shot a LOT, so it's kind of understandable. The Trapper has less the 100 rounds though it, and it has never been as tight as I might hope for.

just my .02...

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Got a Ruger 96/44 that I am thinking of letting go. Has a 2-7x32 Nikon Monarch scope and several extra mags. Let me know if interested. On my way to Pennsylvania so can't post it up for about two weeks.

Going to have to pass on it..... Unless you make a deal I can't refuse lol, just not a fan or the way the Ruger levers look.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
This is coming from a Winchester owner, if I ever bought another lever .44, it would be a Marlin. My Dad's will shoot circles around my Winchesters. His isn't picky either, the Winchesters are pretty picky. My Trapper will shoot ONE factory ammo worth a durn. My oldie but goodie won't shoot any of them worth a plug nickel, and I've tried A LOT over the years.

His Marlin seems to lock up tighter too. My old 94 has been shot a LOT, so it's kind of understandable. The Trapper has less the 100 rounds though it, and it has never been as tight as I might hope for.

just my .02...

Look like I'm Marlin shopping