Pisgah muzzleloader part II?

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Heck with a plan someone drop me a pin where camp Is gonna be I can start scouting
We definitely gonna do it on the weekend of 8,9 and 10th
Kinda struggling to nail down a spot to camp. We do need some space as quite a few people came out last year.
The place we normally camp at off 181 is a great spot, but its kind of a long ride in and out to get to where most folks were hunting.
Doesnt bother me but Im very flexible.
We just dont want to say that we are going to another spot and then get pinched out of a place to stay and then try to contact everyone on the day of and say we had to move.

To be consistent and stable I vote that we stay where we did last year and let it ride. Much better mast crop this year and while there isnt a ton of deer, finding a few should be easier.

TobyScreams

Ten Pointer
Y’all go early and I might pop in. I have Tuesday -Friday off but work Saturday and Sunday. Did we agree on the same location?

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
We definitely gonna do it on the weekend of 8,9 and 10th
Kinda struggling to nail down a spot to camp. We do need some space as quite a few people came out last year.
The place we normally camp at off 181 is a great spot, but its kind of a long ride in and out to get to where most folks were hunting.
Doesnt bother me but Im very flexible.
We just dont want to say that we are going to another spot and then get pinched out of a place to stay and then try to contact everyone on the day of and say we had to move.

To be consistent and stable I vote that we stay where we did last year and let it ride. Much better mast crop this year and while there isnt a ton of deer, finding a few should be easier.
I’m with you. It’s a large area. Plenty of room to roam. Fingers crossed I actually get to join in this year. I’ve got it marked on my calendar.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
directions are correct.
After you leave Morganton proper you will
drive a while (10ish miles) and you pass steele creek park on your left. As soon as you pass the park entrance you will notice that the road starts uphill at a much bigger rate. Also, 181 has mile marker signs on it, all on the right side of the road going up. About a mile past the park you will see our new Pisgah NF sign on your right. The road turns to 4 lane, then back to 2 lane.

The road we are camping on is FS288.
The road is in a curve, on your left side, about 150 yds before you get to mile marker #17.

If you pass the MM17 sign and see Craig Creek Rd on your right you went too far

These are the directions I copied from last years thread. Should give you a good idea of where to look/scout.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Also, the road is first left after "Pisgah National Forest" sign.
If you miss it, the Craig Creek rd is on your right about 1/8th mile past. Plenty of room to turn around there.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
directions are correct.
After you leave Morganton proper you will
drive a while (10ish miles) and you pass steele creek park on your left. As soon as you pass the park entrance you will notice that the road starts uphill at a much bigger rate. Also, 181 has mile marker signs on it, all on the right side of the road going up. About a mile past the park you will see our new Pisgah NF sign on your right. The road turns to 4 lane, then back to 2 lane.

The road we are camping on is FS288.
The road is in a curve, on your left side, about 150 yds before you get to mile marker #17.

If you pass the MM17 sign and see Craig Creek Rd on your right you went too far

These are the directions I copied from last years thread. Should give you a good idea of where to look/scout.
This is it except steele creek rd is forest rd 228. I think a fella I know got wrong number when he posted it.😁. It's easy find there is open gate on left going up 181 with little brown forest sign with number on it wo t be able see number till pull in at gate. I'll hang piece orange flag on gate so will stick out and I'll post pic of it.

dubbeltap69

Six Pointer
Contributor
Daggum I am sorry I'm not going to be able to make this.
Got scheduled for a sinus-ectomy that week. Doc says no heavy lifting for two weeks. WITH THAT SAID, if I'm feeling up to, I am going to try and show up and at least enjoy the conversation and the white "parts cleaner".

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Got scheduled for a sinus-ectomy that week. Doc says no heavy lifting for two weeks. WITH THAT SAID, if I'm feeling up to, I am going to try and show up and at least enjoy the conversation and the white "parts cleaner".
The conversation is best part hope you can make it.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Best of luck with that, Floyd. I hope it goes easy on you. It'd be nice to see you again.