Pineapple marinade

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I was scanning the YouTubes the other day and came across a video that caught my attention.

The guy marinated his steak in pineapple to tenderize it.

I tried it today and it was the best ribeye I've ever had.

You puree the pineapple and cover the steak completely. Let it sit for two hours. Wash off the pineapple and season with salt and pepper.

After 6 minutes over the coals, it was freaking delicious.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Did the same a while back and yes, amazing tenderizer
They say for a 1" steak let it sit for an hour and then wash off

I don't doubt that 1 hour would work too.

When I was washing the pineapple off, the fibers started to separate like thumbing through a wet notebook(best way I can describe it.) I've never seen anything like it.

HarryNC

Eight Pointer
When I was washing the pineapple off, the fibers started to separate like thumbing through a wet notebook(best way I can describe it.) I've never seen anything like it.

Do you think it would work on a venison steak? Might have to give it a try.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Do you think it would work on a venison steak? Might have to give it a try.

it should as it has worked for me,,,,the enzymes in pineapples breaks down the protein, any protein - why the meat fibers separate when you handle the meat after marinating with pineapple,,,,

I didn't prefer the "sweet" taste that it gave the meat,,,not a huge fan,,,but then I wouldn't walk past it neither!!

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
You shouldn't have to tenderize a ribeye.....having said that, we saw the same video and just haven't gotten around to trying it. Good to know it works!

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I didn't prefer the "sweet" taste that it gave the meat,

I didn't notice a sweet taste but, I was using lump coal that had a heavy smoke. That could have masked any sweet taste that would have been there otherwise. I did rinse it thoroughly. That may have had an effect too.

I agree that you shouldn't have to tenderize a ribeye but, it won't stop me from doing it again. Lol. It was too dang good.

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Wonder how this would be with chicken breast. Since I can't eat read meat always looking for new chicken recipes

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
For a different twist use kiwi fruit; same enzyme action only I think it might work better for tough cuts. After you clean the meat off give it about 15 minutes in zesty Italian dressing.

fishinRod

Ten Pointer
i marinated some chicken in pineapple once and it turned into paste...pineapple is some strong stuff, it doesn take long