Pine Plantations

hclaye25

Four Pointer
Anyone hunt pine plantations for turkeys? I have a chance to hunt a pine plantation this year and would greatly appreciate some advice. The property consists of a hardwoods creek bottom, new cut overs and pine ranging from a few years to 20 years old.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
new cut overs are better than most fields for turkey use ime. A blind in the middle of one could make it easy for you.
Many will start and finish their day at the creek bottom. you should as well.
The best hunting i have ever had in SC was the result of new cut overs. with an uncut creek for them to roost.
If you post a satellite pic here this crowd will put you on them in about a minute.

hclaye25

Four Pointer
Thanks for the info. I attached a pic from google earth. It’s doesn’t show the new cut overs but for the most part they are along the creek bottom. What are you thoughts about hunting the power line right away.

Attachments

• 857BEC5A-9764-41CB-9805-4629596DE0D3.jpeg
    857BEC5A-9764-41CB-9805-4629596DE0D3.jpeg
    205.3 KB · Views: 71

Packfan

Eight Pointer
Thanks for the info. I attached a pic from google earth. It’s doesn’t show the new cut overs but for the most part they are along the creek bottom. What are you thoughts about hunting the power line right away.
Small world. Part of our farm is just outside of the confines of your pic. Plenty of birds in the area depending on which cut you are referring to.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
If that power line right away is short grass and not thick that would be my spot they may roost in creek but I'd rather be where their headed than where they roosted. Little scouting will answer all your worries check the right way and the cut if the cut is fairly new you'll see droppings and tracks if you can hang back good ways around 0900 to 1000 with binos you'll know for sure

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
If the power line is green and grassy, this is where Turkeys like to feed for bugs and grass seeds. You might even set up a decoy if that is how you like to hunt. Not a good spot if the power line is overgrown though. I like to hunt the creek bottoms near hardwood ridges or cutovers myself. I VERY SLOWLY run and gun in creek bottoms while looking for the best tree in the shade to immediately set up if any gobbler response. It is not a bad idea to stop every 30-60 minutes or so and lean into a comfortable tree, especially those with built in "arm rests", to call from a spot that looks like a "Turkey spot". Relax, listen, and sit still and try to blend in with your surroundings. It looks like from the aerial photo that this land has areas that fit the bill. Good luck!

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
That area is full of birds. Cut down should have some bare spots that stutters will love. Pm me when you are down we always have something cooking during turkey season and we are bout 2 miles from that location. Good luck.

hclaye25

Four Pointer
That area is full of birds. Cut down should have some bare spots that stutters will love. Pm me when you are down we always have something cooking during turkey season and we are bout 2 miles from that location. Good luck.
Will do. Appreciate the invite.