Pinch me...

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Make sure I ain't dreaming...

Hadn't hunted since Sunday. Needed to recover Monday, and rebuilt some broadheads Tuesday afternoon. 3 arrows in the quiver is my minimum, and I only had 2 fresh Spitfires left! Knew the forecast was right for Wed and Thur, so I made plans to be in the woods.

About 4, I got a text from 'The Retired One'...he's headed to the tree I was headed to. No big deal, first come first serve, and it's a good spot. I debated on trying to hang a climber, but decided I dint have the time. That left me with a loc on, and only 2 options.

Option A was the 'Killin Tree'. Aptly named meat stand, but not much of a rut stand.
Option B was on the edge of a overgrown hayfield, where anything is possible. I had low confidence in killing anything, but thought I might see something to hone in on.

I chose option B. Got in the stand about 5:30. Temps were cool, but the sun was cooking me and the whole field. I killed some time on the phone, just waiting for the sun to hit the tree tops. About 5:50 I looked down and chuckled to myself, as I hadn't even put my release on...

Got squared away, and 5 min later I heard steady footsteps headed my way. Stood up, bow in hand, and a little 4 or 5pt steps out. I was trying to get a picture of him, when I heard another deer coming. I caught a glimpse of him in the timber and thought 'seriously? This is going down like this?!?'

Yes, yes it was. He stopped and thrashed a sapling 20yds from me. I was watching the lil buck and getting right, then he walked on out.

I came to full draw as he passed behind the last big limb, but just as I got the pin settled he had an itch...turned his head towards me and started scratching something with that back foot. My sight ring was nothing but horns lol

He got it all scratched out, took a couple more steps, and posed broadside at 15 yards. The briefest blue flash, a giant mule kick and about 3 bounces later, and he looked around to see what happened...I could see the blood pouring out of him and he started that wobble. He was still in bow range when he fell.

Just that fast20181024_190057.jpg20181024_222853.jpg

I feel incredibly blessed and fortunate. I've been at this game a long time, and it's not supposed to happen this way!
350lbs and 250" in back to back hunts. Unbelievable.

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
holy smokes,,,,,you are on a dang roll!! some fine land you must have,,,combined with fine kills,,,,and that luck you mention

congrats!!

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Dang man..you are certainly schooling some of us. Congrads on an incredible season so far.

flathead977

Ten Pointer
Good job again! You're just getting all this out of the way for when that baby gets here.

Last edited:

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That is a beauty! That's an incredible week of hunting.

I could sit back and smile all gun season after taking those two with a bow.

n.d.woods

Eight Pointer
I'm not so sure you're not looking at a lil more than 250", that second one may get you P&Y net. Have you taped them? Not that that is what it's about, what a two hunts and what a memory. Congrats from the Midwest.

dstubbsunc

Eight Pointer
I'm not so sure you're not looking at a lil more than 250", that second one may get you P&Y net. Have you taped them? Not that that is what it's about, what a two hunts and what a memory. Congrats from the Midwest.
I'm with you on this one, I think he'll be close!

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Very nice. Heck of a week!!!!!! Congrats.

It's funny how seasons go like that. I just told someone yesterday, I can go a couple seasons and be lucky to kill one really good buck. Last year I took four between NC and VA. 3 of them in 7 days.

Amazing how that works. Again congrats on two great NC bow kills

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
On a side note, I told my son to hunt this afternoon. Letting him hunt the stand I plan to hunt open day of ML. Its definitely a big boy stand. That's how much I think today is going to be right. Normally this stand is not hunted to open day of ML.

He's lucky is sister is in volleyball state playoffs or I'd be there :)

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Are you kidding me.............. You went ahead and used both your buck tags already? Are you out of your mind? Now you have nothing to look forward to for the rest of the season (yeah, I know you are still going to VA).

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
The first one actually outscored him by a hair. The second one doesn't have the nearly the frame. He's 11 inches behind just on beams and spread.

And it matters not one bit:cool::cool::cool:

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
I love the saying "every dog has his day in the sun". It's so true. When it's "your time".....there's no explaining it really. Like you said, its not supposed to happen this way. When it does, its special. You work hard and pay your dues and most times its for naught. And then, in miraculous fashion, things happen that leave you scratching your head. Did I really just kill two gross P&Y bucks in four days? On back-to-back hunts? Yes you did!!! That's nothing short of incredible....especially in NC. I say enjoy it for all its worth! Because times like this are so rare. Rest assure you've earned it. Though you expected there to be more days of hard work in between the payoffs, I say take the money and run! And don't ask no questions! Congratulations! I'm real happy for you.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
And I did not see squat in the place he was planning to go to. But I could have easily fallen out of the tree with shock when I got his text message. I did not get to hear the arrow hit on this one though. He was on another property 3/4 of a mile away as the crow flies.

One great season for sure!

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
Great deer both of them, but man what are you going to do now ,no buck tags left, guess you just have to leave the rest for seed

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
Make sure I ain't dreaming...

Hadn't hunted since Sunday. Needed to recover Monday, and rebuilt some broadheads Tuesday afternoon. 3 arrows in the quiver is my minimum, and I only had 2 fresh Spitfires left! Knew the forecast was right for Wed and Thur, so I made plans to be in the woods.

About 4, I got a text from 'The Retired One'...he's headed to the tree I was headed to. No big deal, first come first serve, and it's a good spot. I debated on trying to hang a climber, but decided I dint have the time. That left me with a loc on, and only 2 options.

Option A was the 'Killin Tree'. Aptly named meat stand, but not much of a rut stand.
Option B was on the edge of a overgrown hayfield, where anything is possible. I had low confidence in killing anything, but thought I might see something to hone in on.

I chose option B. Got in the stand about 5:30. Temps were cool, but the sun was cooking me and the whole field. I killed some time on the phone, just waiting for the sun to hit the tree tops. About 5:50 I looked down and chuckled to myself, as I hadn't even put my release on...

Got squared away, and 5 min later I heard steady footsteps headed my way. Stood up, bow in hand, and a little 4 or 5pt steps out. I was trying to get a picture of him, when I heard another deer coming. I caught a glimpse of him in the timber and thought 'seriously? This is going down like this?!?'

Yes, yes it was. He stopped and thrashed a sapling 20yds from me. I was watching the lil buck and getting right, then he walked on out.

I came to full draw as he passed behind the last big limb, but just as I got the pin settled he had an itch...turned his head towards me and started scratching something with that back foot. My sight ring was nothing but horns lol

He got it all scratched out, took a couple more steps, and posed broadside at 15 yards. The briefest blue flash, a giant mule kick and about 3 bounces later, and he looked around to see what happened...I could see the blood pouring out of him and he started that wobble. He was still in bow range when he fell.

Just that fastView attachment 21484View attachment 21486

I feel incredibly blessed and fortunate. I've been at this game a long time, and it's not supposed to happen this way!
350lbs and 250" in back to back hunts. Unbelievable.
Its better to be lucky than good any day,congrats.