Pileated Woodpecker Headshot

WakeHunter32

Eight Pointer
This Pileated Woodpecker has been making daily visits to the backyard suet feeder, close enough to fill a 300mm lens and allow for a head & shoulder shot with minimal cropping.

View attachment 60740
What feeder and suet cakes are you using? I had 3 in the back yard the other day on the same pine. Absolutely love seeing them and hearing them. They visit one of our feeders sometimes but looking at getting the “Birds Choice 2- Cake Pileated Suet Cake Feeder” so they have a better spot, I know they like resting and those feathers on something.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What feeder and suet cakes are you using? I had 3 in the back yard the other day on the same pine. Absolutely love seeing them and hearing them. They visit one of our feeders sometimes but looking at getting the “Birds Choice 2- Cake Pileated Suet Cake Feeder” so they have a better spot, I know they like resting and those feathers on something.

The feeder is home-made, a cedar log stuck in the ground with 1" holes drilled into it. The suet is also home-made; with the amount we feed, it's a lot cheaper than buying the pre-made blocks.

Homemade suet: (yellow cornmeal, white flour, lard & peanut butter). We melt the lard and peanut butter, mix the cornmeal and white flour in, pour it out into a 9 x 14 dish and let it set. Once its hardened, we cut it into pieces to whatever shape we want, and its soft enough to be able to push it into the holes and crevices on the cedar log we use as a feeder.

1 bag unsifted yellow corn meal
1/2 cup white flour
1 cup peanut butter
1 pound lard

This photo shows the log with the holes a little better.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_e29.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_e29.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

WakeHunter32

Eight Pointer
The feeder is home-made, a cedar log stuck in the ground with 1" holes drilled into it. The suet is also home-made; with the amount we feed, it's a lot cheaper than buying the pre-made blocks.

Homemade suet: (yellow cornmeal, white flour, lard & peanut butter). We melt the lard and peanut butter, mix the cornmeal and white flour in, pour it out into a 9 x 14 dish and let it set. Once its hardened, we cut it into pieces to whatever shape we want, and its soft enough to be able to push it into the holes and crevices on the cedar log we use as a feeder.

1 bag unsifted yellow corn meal
1/2 cup white flour
1 cup peanut butter
1 pound lard

This photo shows the log with the holes a little better.
That’s awesome! Might have to give that a try given how much we go through as well.

Earsom

Button Buck
As a bird enthusiast, nothing makes me happier than putting up a birdhouse bird feeder in my garden. Feeders designed as birdhouses always work their charm not only for me but for my backyard birds. :)

Last edited:

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
This Pileated Woodpecker has been making daily visits to the backyard suet feeder, close enough to fill a 300mm lens and allow for a head & shoulder shot with minimal cropping.

That is so cool. Last one I saw was in Umstead Park.

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
You ever sit in a tree stand and have one show up above you, let out a bunch of that "Yik Yik Yik Yik Yik" then do the Browning Auto imitation?

Pretty neat depending on the condition of your shorts afterwards.