Pigeon Hunting

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Back in my farming days in upstate NY we wore them out. Nasty, dirty birds in the barns and silo's. Easier to hit than doves but can be tricky once they get "educated". Dad used to love hitting them with his old 36" full choke 10 gauge at 40 and 50 yards with 3.5" #2's. Back in those days you could still buy 25 to a box for around $10. I can still see feathers flying like an exploding down pillow :D

ps: thanks for the trip down memory lane

Last edited:

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
We have sometimes passed the time mid-day on our annual bow hunts in northern Wisconsin by hunting pigeons. I’m not talking about hunting city pigeons, whose crops are stuffed with Doritos and cigarette butts. We chase “barnies” that live in semi-abandoned barns, who spend their days gorging themselves on grain and seeds. They make for some fun wing-shooting, and eat pretty good as well.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Back in the day, we had 3-4 dairies in Chatham county and spent many hot summer days shooting pigeons. Sadly, those dairies have long since sold out and are now grown up and just forgotten buildings. Kinda sad!

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Out west on some of the big farms they have some absolutely unbelievable shoots from what some of my friends post. There aren't many rural places that they are in numbers worth pursuing here. If you find them in that setting they would be fun.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I used to have several farms where I did this and are are not working farms anymore thus no pigeons. I was riding one day going fishing and spotted a farm with silo and pigeons were EVERYWHERE,..i turned around and stopped and asked could i hunt here and was told no. farmer said he loved his pigeons. they were.everywhere! oh well. I used to shoot them off my dads store in Burlington and other owners of stores in Burlington... now that was fun shooting them with a Pellet Rifle. I miss that.

aerochris

Button Buck
That's too bad if there aren't really any around here. Sounds like fun and would be good in the off season.

Steelshot

Eight Pointer
they are so fun to shoot. Great practice for shooting teal because of the size and how fast they take off when you throw the first shot at them. Had a friend that got me hooked on it. Would sit near a silo, and blow an air horn and they would pour out. Sadly like some of the other posts, farm is gone and now sits a neighborhood. If you ever get boared jump on YouTube and check out the guys from "soar no more" they are the reason pidgeons don't sleep good at night lol

aerochris

Button Buck
Soar No More is actually what got me interested in hunting them. They make decoys. Looks like a blast to me! I want to try it

Lee

Six Pointer
Pigeons with a supressed air rifle make for a great morning of hunting. They will warm up in the sun before starting to feed. Nothing like a nice still target

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Grew up taking wheelbarrow loads of crows and pigeons to an old woman who made Pigeon/Crow Pot Pies........took her groundhogs too, that she baked up too!

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’ve never hunted pigeons before but it sounds like a heck of a lotta fun, what are the best spots in central NC?
Just about any bridge in a large city, have fun to law enforcement gets there. I take it you haven't read any of the previous replies.

Last edited: