Pig Sticker

crittergitter

Ten Pointer
Been a bit busy making a few knives for a few for members but I needed to take a break and make a knife for me. It seems like every time I make myself a personal knife someone sees it and buys it off of my hip. That is not a bad thing. I hope I get to keep this one for me. I doubt I will ever have the need to use it since it is so big. I guess it is a survival Knife or a TEOTWAWKI ( the end of the world as we know it).
y8ezahyg.jpg

My boot is a size 13 for size reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rem1148

Critter, I like the title of the thread. Will it be used on hogs? Also, I have a military style knife that has the top 3 inches sharpened on the blade. Ever thought of building a blade like that? I`ll be following your progress. Thank you sir.

crittergitter

Ten Pointer
This may show up twice. I tried to post a reply, hit the button and poof it disapeared!

The handle material will be osage orange AKA bowdark wood. A buddy brought me a fence post that his uncle says is 100+ years old. It is dry, hard and as tough as the steel the knife is made from.

I have never though of making a knife like that but you never know I may have to do that. It would not be that hard to just sharpen the top 3-4" of the knife. I would change the design a bit though.

I will post some pics as I go.

Mike

crittergitter

Ten Pointer
qa2upehy.jpg

Book matched set of Osage arrange scales. It took me over an hour to hand saw these. Hard as nails.

crittergitter

Ten Pointer
I had a small set back. When I heat treated the knife it came out wit a slight warp. This only seems to happen when I do knives over 10".
yny2agez.jpg

If I can't get it straight with my straightening jig I will place it edge down in a pan of water and do a soft draw on the spine of the knife and then it will straighten up nicely.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Nice Knife..That Osage is really pretty, it would make a nice looking bow as well as Knife handles..

crittergitter

Ten Pointer
5ygarygy.jpg

Mostly finished the scales on the pig sticker. Just a bit of minor touch up sanding and and a CA glue finish and the knife will be done. A buddy of mine that makes holsters will make the Kydex sheath.