Pig Cooker

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
It took me a few years, laziness, work, family, other stuff etc., but I finally finished my pig cooker. I still need to put a coat of paint on it.
a1d7c3057b053dd7ee807944fbd4d19a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thomas270

Ten Pointer
Looks good man, you musta had the coals stoked in that thing to get them rain caps to stand at attention like that!

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Better not cook oysters in there..... Well, unless he wants a rusted out grill in short order...

Say what????

i got my pig cooker in 2002,,, roast oysters several times a year,,,,no rust issues

“short order” mustbe longer than I think

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Better not cook oysters in there..... Well, unless he wants a rusted out grill in short order...

and brines, rubs, also have the same ingredient.... plus the vinegar used in sauces for pigs....never seen one rust out any faster as a result of having oysters put in them...

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Well, I did some years ago, in the shell and on the grate. Cooked to sizzle. The salt water steaming from the oysters had the grill rusted out in a matter of months. Granted, this was in a standard grill and not either of my large ones, but they are all made of steel. Steel does not like salt. Your experiences may be completely different than mine, but I see no issue with forwarding a warning of very possible issues....

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Well, I did some years ago, in the shell and on the grate. Cooked to sizzle. The salt water steaming from the oysters had the grill rusted out in a matter of months. Granted, this was in a standard grill and not either of my large ones, but they are all made of steel. Steel does not like salt. Your experiences may be completely different than mine, but I see no issue with forwarding a warning of very possible issues....

guess I keep enough grease baked on mine to fight off the ravages of any salt from my oysters,,,,,, :taz: :ROFLMAO: :mosh: :cool:

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
Looks good man, you musta had the coals stoked in that thing to get them rain caps to stand at attention like that!

I had them pinned open for draft. I had just fired it up for the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
and evidently they sucked because you haven't told us how good they were.

The ribs were first. It was the trial and I had to play with it to get the draft right and ended up overcooking the crap out of them.

The second go, I cooked 6 whole chickens quartered. Since I figured out the fire on the burnt ribs, the chicken turned out great.