Pier vs Boat vs Surf

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
Just curious if anyone has a preference for one or the other. Last week I fished on Johnny Mercer’s pier a couple of days and in the surf at Masonboro inlet. Yesterday I was on the pier with my grandson and this morning I’m going out on Cap’n Frank’s boat. I can say I have had good catches and not so good at all of these. But I can’t say the experience is better at one. They each have their own pros and cons and a lot of times it’s more about who’s with me than where we are. Anyone have an opinion on why one is preferable?

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Several things would make one better over the other, time of year (what's running) weather (too rough in the surf or on a boat) and what am I trying to catch, .. So my answer is yes, maybe.....

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
I've been in a boat and wished I was on the beach. I've been on the beach or pier and wished I was in a boat. I've been on a pier and walked onto the beach. Never went from beach or pier to a boat. Boat would be the preference most of the time.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
What’s the situation and what are we fishing for? Time of year? Zero interest what so ever in boat drum. Give me head high rough surf for drum is probably where it’s at for me. Though I pier fish too. All dependent on species, wind direction, and time of year.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
i just got some pics from a long time friend who is addicted to the sand. he is holding a "big one" His words.
Been going for decades.

I guess i am all about pullage. :) they dont catch enough to interest me.
Put me in the boat group.
My first day in hell would be stuck on a pier.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've done it all, and personally think surf fishing is the most relaxing, but probably not the post productive. It is not relaxing for me to take a boat thru Oregon inlet, even on a good day.

On the beach it is easy to take the dogs, grandkids (even ones that cannot walk yet), and women that don't like being in boats and will need a place to pee. I'm glad not everyone prefers the same activities.

C52

Eight Pointer
There is something special about surf fishing, especially when you can drive the beach. My preference is on the boat though.

Attachments

• 3466566D-FBA0-4FFB-92E4-6A063C750BFF.jpeg
    3466566D-FBA0-4FFB-92E4-6A063C750BFF.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 18

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
There is something special about surf fishing, especially when you can drive the beach. My preference is on the boat though.
I would probably agree if my boat was as nice as yours. And you can combine the two. I've used the boat to take us surf fishing in Carolina Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Oregon Inlet, and Cape Lookout. Best of both worlds.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I’ve never had the chance to use a boat on the ocean, but I have a lot better luck fishing in the surf than on the pier. Both with bottom bait rigs and lures I’ve caught more fish and bigger fish while surf fishing. But I only fish during the spring/summer.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
I thought I was the only one that referred to those scary folks as.... Pier People
I've never really had a bad experience with other Pier People in all my years and on many different piers. On the contrary I generally enjoy meeting new folks and many times I've gotten help and advice from others. I take my young grandsons all the time and I try to educate them about what I call pier protocol, which simply is good manners and respect for others, especially one's elders (which includes me). Of course that's just my opinion.

C52

Eight Pointer
I would probably agree if my boat was as nice as yours. And you can combine the two. I've used the boat to take us surf fishing in Carolina Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Oregon Inlet, and Cape Lookout. Best of both worlds.
Thanks man. When I’m done with it, it will be an old salty boat. I’ve had it for ten years and have no plans of letting it go anytime soon. It’s a do it all boat

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
All of the above

The pier can be aggravating at times if it’s packed, but there are times I enjoy drinking beer and drowning bait and chatting with strangers.

When the fishing is good I love being in the right place in the surf or out on a boat of course.

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If its too rough to run the boat offshore fishing for dolphin,tuna or wahoo, i'll be in the surf trying to find something to pull on. I rarely fish from the pier anymore but I use to enjoy it.