Pier Fishing

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
Got a buddy coming down to fish a little the first of this week. NOAA says winds ENE or NE with seas 5 feet through Wednesday so it looks like the surf or a pier for us. I live about 3 or 4 miles from Johnny Mercers but I've rarely had what I'd call a great day. I have caught a couple of pretty good blue runs and picked up some Spanish now and then but other than that it has usually been pretty slow. I check the webcams and see that since the Carolina Beach pier lost the end during Florence the Kure Beach pier is really pretty crowded, plus it's about 25 miles down busy College Road. I guess I'll leave it up to him as to where to go. I don't think the surf will be good with seas that high so it'll be one of the piers. Anyway, either way I'll be hanging out with a buddy while breathing in some salt air, so I'm not complaining. And if a few fish bite, well that'll be icing on the cake.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I haven't pier fished since my father-in-law passed,,,,the October trip to fish was his only present of a year to himself,,,we'd all go down there the weekend around his birthday,,,

he was a truck farmer,,,workaholic,,,so after deliveries were made Saturday and since none were made on SUnday (so didn't have to gather vegetables) the family would head down to the beach Saturday afternoon, fish all night, then drive back Sunday AM to get back to the field to pick for Monday's deliveries,,,

fun times

miss that old Man,,,he was my coonhunting partner for a lot of years,,,RIP Joel,,,

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
I haven't pier fished since my father-in-law passed,,,,the October trip to fish was his only present of a year to himself,,,we'd all go down there the weekend around his birthday,,,

he was a truck farmer,,,workaholic,,,so after deliveries were made Saturday and since none were made on SUnday (so didn't have to gather vegetables) the family would head down to the beach Saturday afternoon, fish all night, then drive back Sunday AM to get back to the field to pick for Monday's deliveries,,,

fun times

miss that old Man,,,he was my coonhunting partner for a lot of years,,,RIP Joel,,,
That's a great memory. I used to go to Surf City every October for a week with 3 or 4 buddies from work. We'd take turns keeping our spot on the pier and we'd always bring coolers full of spots back. And a few empty adult beverage containers. Now I only go to the pier with my sons or grandsons or with a buddy from Louisburg whose daughter lives here.