Pick a scope

Andrewd

Six Pointer
I’m looking for a new scope. I’m stuck between a vortex crossfire 2 6-24x50 with 30mm tube. Or a Burris fullField 2 6.5-20x50 with 1” tube. Any one have a recommendation on real world results.

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
I’m looking for a new scope. I’m stuck between a vortex crossfire 2 6-24x50 with 30mm tube. Or a Burris fullField 2 6.5-20x50 with 1” tube. Any one have a recommendation on real world results.
I've got a Burris on my 7mm08. Great glass !

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Takes more than a brand to make a recommendation. It appears you have already made up your mind that you need a 24X scope so you must be planning on making some really long shots. What are you hunting, max range, calibre........

Andrewd

Six Pointer
It’s going on a 300 win. Not real looking for long range but would be nice if I ever need it. Most shoots will be in the 200 yard range. I know it’s over kill but if I ever need it I’ll have it.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Burris Fullfield between those two but I'd want a lower power like 4-12 x. I've got a Leupold 6.5 x 20 vari x III that's in the safe, too much scope for deer hunting.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Instead of the 6.5 Burris I'd get the Burris Fullfield II in 4.5x14, but I have no experience with either you mentioned.

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
It’s going on a 300 win. Not real looking for long range but would be nice if I ever need it. Most shoots will be in the 200 yard range. I know it’s over kill but if I ever need it I’ll have it.

For what it’s worth, I shoot to 700 regularly with a 4-16.
Much past that I want more magnification.

20x is a lot of magnification for a deer at 200. It’s gonna be rough at lowlight too.

Hell, 12x at lowlight is tough.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Haven't shot a Vortex Crossfire, nor the Burris. But I wouldn't kick a hog in the ass for another Vortex

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
The same things that happen with all economy chinese scopes. Fogging, clouding, white out, unreliable tracking. You name it, people have had it happen. I run a lot of vortex stuff and have never had an issue, but most of it says razor on it. Between the two you mentioned, I’d roll with the burris. If I planned on twisting turrets, neither.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have a Vortex Diamond Back on a Savage 99 in 243. I missed a deer with it last year. just figured I jerked the trigger due to excitement. According to the target i shot yesterday, the scope did not hold it's 0 during the season. The Leupold's and the old Bushnell did.

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
^^^I have two philippine made Aetec on two hunting rifles that are very good ,side by side I would pick them over a Leupold vx2 and as good as a zeiss conquest both of which I also have. Just MHO .

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Some Simmons deserve a bit more respect than they are typically given Some don't deserve any at all.😉
I've got a few I'd put up against those Vortex and Chinese Weavers any day of the week. Older Aetec and Pro Hunters made in the Philippines are decent, well made scopes for the money.
The Simmons was on the Savage 99 when daddy bought it back from the guy that bought after he traded it for a Jam-Master. Rocky (actually a member here - was at one time) put that scope on it and you could touch holes with that combo. I thought I needed a new scope and put that damn Vortex on it. Now the Simmons sits on top of a 350 Legend.

I have the Aetec on a 22 that is good. Daddy bought it for something else, but it was too short so he put it on the 22.

I had a World Class Tasco years ago that was as good as you needed for the type hunting that we were doing.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I agree about the older Aetec scopes....there were great scopes for their price point.
I still have one on my 22-250.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
I have several Simmons scopes from the late 90s I guess, all have performed as well as anything I ever had. The 44 mag on my 270 gets a 3 shot group check before gun season and never needs adjusting with the red field mounts. The one on my 22 mag I actually backed over with my truck and it pushed it almost an inch through the rings without changing the zero. Still using it in it's new position for years now

30/06

Twelve Pointer
I’d find a way to shell out a little more dough and buy a Leopold or swaro if you can swing it. The scope is not where you want to skimp.

richard corn

Ten Pointer
Swaro Z3. Cameraland can hook you up. Call Doug. Can get a 2-12 for less than $700. Guaranteed the brightest scope you’ll ever look thru. Also look at Meopta. Should be less$$ but damn good.