Persimmon or plum trees?

tgr95

Spike
Anybody know a place to buy American persimmon or wild plum trees around the Charlotte-Gaston-Cleveland area? I see online retailers but I’m leery of ordering online. Any reputable ones you’ve used? Thanks.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Persimmon is dioecious so you will need more than one, preferably several. They take 5-7 years to mature too. A slow growing tree but very tolerant of poor soils and drought tolerant.
Interesting fact - Persimmon trees will tolerate winter flooding. We have 1 that came up in my duck impoundment and has done very well. Flooded mid september through late march. Even have a few smaller ones popping up. Very healthy and produces well.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
As for fruit trees, I have never seen a persimmon, though I dont doubt they may have one, but lowes is a good place to find that stuff sometimes. Was there yesterday and they had a decent selection of trees.

ArmyMutt

Eight Pointer
Persimmons are pretty hardy. Ran over mine by accident when tearing down my fence last summer. She's up and growing just fine this year. Only about 3/4" trunk though. I ordered a bunch of plums from Willis Orchard in GA. Will be here in Dec. NC Forest service is out of them.

2nd Calling

Six Pointer
Bought some of the grafted Deer Candy and Deer Magnet, female scion trees. This is the second growing season and they are already 8 to 9 feet tall. If you have persimmon in your area, I'd recommend getting some of these...but winter is your time to plant.

para4514

Eight Pointer
Contributor
I have seen Hallman's Nursery plants from South Carolina. Might be worth the trip, or shipping depending on how many you want to get.

jcannon

Twelve Pointer
I would buy Japanese persimmons rather than American persimmons. More fruit, while using less space

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Interesting fact - Persimmon trees will tolerate winter flooding. We have 1 that came up in my duck impoundment and has done very well. Flooded mid september through late march. Even have a few smaller ones popping up. Very healthy and produces well.
they will take a lot of water............there is 1 Island on Jordan where I have 8 bald cypress trees planted...the Highest part of this little island maybe 6 inches above the normal lake level ....it stays underwater alot.................. there are maybe 10 persimmons on it as well with 2 bearing fruit this year.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
they will take a lot of water............there is 1 Island on Jordan where I have 8 bald cypress trees planted...the Highest part of this little island maybe 6 inches above the normal lake level ....it stays underwater alot.................. there are maybe 10 persimmons on it as well with 2 bearing fruit this year.
I wonder if ducks like the seeds? How big are the seeds?

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I've got persimmos popping up in the meadowstip every year. I'd bet I mow down 20 a year. I let 2 grow a couple of years ago. They are probably 15 feet tall and still no sign of fruit. Gonna cut them down this year and let a couple more grow up that are in a better place. Anybody want some to transplant is welcome to come get them.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've got persimmos popping up in the meadowstip every year. I'd bet I mow down 20 a year. I let 2 grow a couple of years ago. They are probably 15 feet tall and still no sign of fruit. Gonna cut them down this year and let a couple more grow up that are in a better place. Anybody want some to transplant is welcome to come get them.
It’s certainly possible that your two trees are both male, as only females produce fruit.

If you’re wanting them to bear fruit in your “better spot” I’d leave more than just two. I’d leave at least 5-7.

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
There don't seem to be very many acorn on my place this year except I have a couple of big sawtooths that are loaded and look to see them falling in a couple of weeks. About 30 yards from the sawtooths is a big persimmon tree it also is loaded . Already a couple on the ground and it is already tracked up good under it. This should be a great spot to hunt in about two weeks. Hope that I am right!

Deep River

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Yeah. Mother Nature is a funny lady. Late frosts killed all the blossoms on my domestic fruit trees and probably had a similar effect on the oaks. It was so dry this summer that my corn crop is pitiful and my soybeans aren’t much better. But, somehow it was a perfect year for the persimmons. We have a lot of big persimmons on the farm. One in the yard has been dropping fruit for two weeks already. Must be because it is in full sun. The rest of them are a week or two away.

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
Yeah. Mother Nature is a funny lady. Late frosts killed all the blossoms on my domestic fruit trees and probably had a similar effect on the oaks. It was so dry this summer that my corn crop is pitiful and my soybeans aren’t much better. But, somehow it was a perfect year for the persimmons. We have a lot of big persimmons on the farm. One in the yard has been dropping fruit for two weeks already. Must be because it is in full sun. The rest of them are a week or two away.
Yep , all my apple and pear trees along with my kiwi vine bore zero fruit in Wilkes co this year. I am just glad that persimmons are such late bloomers .