• Just a heads up for those of you who use Tapatalk to access NCH&F. I will be removing support for that app effective immediately. The reasons are many, but the primary one is that it allows spammers to post here without first being authorized to do so. This, coupled with their increasingly aggressive and invasive ads and pop ups, has caused us to remove them from the site entirely.

Persimmon or plum trees?

tgr95

Spike
Anybody know a place to buy American persimmon or wild plum trees around the Charlotte-Gaston-Cleveland area? I see online retailers but I’m leery of ordering online. Any reputable ones you’ve used? Thanks.

kahunter

Six Pointer
Persimmon is dioecious so you will need more than one, preferably several. They take 5-7 years to mature too. A slow growing tree but very tolerant of poor soils and drought tolerant.
Interesting fact - Persimmon trees will tolerate winter flooding. We have 1 that came up in my duck impoundment and has done very well. Flooded mid september through late march. Even have a few smaller ones popping up. Very healthy and produces well.

kahunter

Six Pointer
As for fruit trees, I have never seen a persimmon, though I dont doubt they may have one, but lowes is a good place to find that stuff sometimes. Was there yesterday and they had a decent selection of trees.